2018 Predictions

3 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

Not according to resent reports. 

Oh that's bad.

18 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

No, we cannot use last year's scores to determine this year's success. I was just illustrating that they were almost 6th last year and not too far from fourth, so it wouldn't be entirely shocking at all if they finished 4th - 6th this year. I agree, if GH had stayed I would have had them lower myself. Last year's show, IMO, had potential in the beginning of the season, but it was destroyed by all the changes, the cheap useless props, and the beating us over the head with the theme. I felt the same in 2015 - completely destroyed when they went to the black uniforms. The show came off so much better with the maroon uniforms. GH had lost his touch.

I don't see Cadets in the top 6 simply because of the continued strength of last years top 6.

I think they are doing a great job with the situation they find themselves in, the reality is just that last years top six are all well rounded.  I think Cadets will struggle visually.  Hoping I am wrong, but I think it would be a major surprise if Cadets place in the top 6 this year.  I see a fairly large gap between the top 6 and the rest of the corps.

Edited by cadet93

16 minutes ago, cadet93 said:

I don't see Cadets in the top 6 simply because of the continued strength of last years top 6.

I think they are doing a great job with the situation they find themselves in, the reality is just that last years top six are all well rounded.  I think Cadets will struggle visually.  Hoping I am wrong, but I think it would be a major surprise if Cadets place in the top 6 this year.  I see a fairly large gap between the top 6 and the rest of the corps.

I don't know. No one will ever be able to convince me that the 2017 Boston Crusaders were as talented as the 2017 Cadets. If feel the same way about the Cavies and Cadets in 2016. What the 2016 Cavaliers and 2017 Boston Crusaders had, that the Cadets didn't, was a great show design. Heck, the Cadets didn't even have a good show design in 2016 or 2017. When you have a great show design off the bat, and aren't spending weaks making changes, it is a huge benefit. And, when the fans and judges are reacting so positively towards your show, it just creates unstoppable momentum, because you start to see great results competitively and it just fuels you and excites you. It drives you. You are able to exceed expectations, both from an entertainment perspective and a competitive perspective. In 2016 and 2017, the Cadets design staff killed them before they even took their first steps! When you lose to a corps you haven't lost to since 1980 it deflates you. When you are making constant changes it deflates you. When the judges aren't reacting positively to your show it deflates you. When you have someone playing in the design sandbox who has no clue what he's doing it deflates you.

I mean no disrespect towards the Cavaliers or BAC. The Cavies finished 9th in 2015 to the Cadets 4th (and the Cadets could have won in 2015) and Boston finished 12th in 2016 and the Cadets 6th. So hence my talent argument.

So, at the end of the day, I think it will really come down to show design for the Cadets. Are their 2018 members as, or more talented, than BACs? I don't know. But, if the Cadets have a great show design, I don't think it's out of the rhelm of possibility at all that they could finish 6th or higher. Whether they are 3rd to 10th I think this is a new dawn for the Cadets and their future is a lot brighter now that GH is gone.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

Not according to resent reports. 

Who resent these reports? Just kidding. What recent reports?

7 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I don't know. No one will ever be able to convince me that the 2017 Boston Crusaders were as talented as the 2017 Cadets. If feel the same way about the Cavies and Cadets in 2016. What the 2016 Cavaliers and 2017 Boston Crusaders had, that the Cadets didn't, was a great show design. Heck, the Cadets didn't even have a good show design in 2016 or 2017. When you have a great show design off the bat, and aren't spending weaks making changes, it is a huge benefit. And, when the fans and judges are reacting so positively towards your show, it just creates unstoppable momentum, because you start to see great results competitively and it just fuels you and excites you. It drives you. You are able to exceed expectations, both from an entertainment perspective and a competitive perspective. In 2016 and 2017, the Cadets design staff killed them before they even took their first steps! When you lose to a corps you haven't lost to since 1980 it deflates you. When you are making constant changes it deflates you. When the judges aren't reacting positively to your show it deflates you. When you have someone playing in the design sandbox who has no clue what he's doing it deflates you.

I mean no disrespect towards the Cavaliers or BAC. The Cavies finished 9th in 2015 to the Cadets 4th (and the Cadets could have won in 2015) and Boston finished 12th in 2016 and the Cadets 6th. So hence my talent argument.

So, at the end of the day, I think it will really come down to show design for the Cadets. Are their 2018 members as, or more talented, than BACs? I don't know. But, if the Cadets have a great show design, I don't think it's out of the rhelm of possibility at all that they could finish 6th or higher.

The talent level between BAC and Cadets switched last year with the staff changes...  Cadets are now mostly Cadets 2 kids that move up vs. members looking to march in a Championship contender from other corps.  Just my impression.

Edited by cadet93

1 minute ago, cadet93 said:

The talent level between BAC and Cadets switched last year with the staff changes...  Cadets are now mostly Cadets 2 kids that move up vs. member looking to march in a Championship contender from other corps.  Just my impression.

I could see that the Cadets aren't drawing members who want to march in a championship caliber corps anymore, but is BAC? 

Edited by queenanne_1536

Honestly I think we all hope they just put out a better more cohesive product than last year. Let the chips fall where they may. If they don't move up, then it will probably have more to do with others getting better than them getting worse. If you see things that way. I doubt they will fall below 7th or 8th, but even the Cavs fell off the map recently and now I think they are in the running for a medal. Cadets will be fine as an organization.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I could see that the Cadets aren't drawing members who want to march in a championship caliber corps anymore, but is BAC? 

Considering their staff BAC is a destination corps. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I don't know. No one will ever be able to convince me that the 2017 Boston Crusaders were as talented as the 2017 Cadets. If feel the same way about the Cavies and Cadets in 2016. What the 2016 Cavaliers and 2017 Boston Crusaders had, that the Cadets didn't, was a great show design.

Boston finished ahead of the Cadets in Brass and Percussion which, I believe, has nothing to do with show design/visuals.  Like you typed in the Boston Crusaders thread, you don't know what you're talking about. 

18 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Boston finished ahead of the Cadets in Brass and Percussion which, I believe, has nothing to do with show design/visuals.  Like you typed in the Boston Crusaders thread, you don't know what you're talking about. 

Actually visual and design greatly impacts both scores 

• Like 5