2018 Predictions

1 hour ago, queenanne_1536 said:

No, we cannot use last year's scores to determine this year's success. I was just illustrating that they were almost 6th last year and not too far from fourth, so it wouldn't be entirely shocking at all if they finished 4th - 6th this year. I agree, if GH had stayed I would have had them lower myself. Last year's show, IMO, had potential in the beginning of the season, but it was destroyed by all the changes, the cheap useless props, and the beating us over the head with the theme. I felt the same in 2015 - completely destroyed when they went to the black uniforms. The show came off so much better with the maroon uniforms. GH had lost his touch.

Many artists know to stop (working on a piece) when it's clear that doing anything more would ruin it.  That ability left him.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Boston finished ahead of the Cadets in Brass and Percussion which, I believe, has nothing to do with show design/visuals.  Like you typed in the Boston Crusaders thread, you don't know what you're talking about. 

Why are you being rude? I was joking in the BAC (and making a joke about myself, I didn't attack anyone). Yes, I know where Boston finished in relation to the Cadets. Everything hinges on show design, everything. A less talented line can beat a more talented line based on show design alone. I know from first hand experience. When you have a great show design, and both the audience and judges are responding so well to it, all it does is elevate you (on all levels). When it's the opposite, it's deflating (on all levels). I have been on both sides of the coin when I marched. 

Edited by queenanne_1536

Just now, Ediker said:

Many artists know to stop (working on a piece) when it's clear that doing anything more would ruin it.  That ability left him.  

Exactly. I mean that man was brilliant throughout his career. THAT cannot be denied. He had a direct hand in countless Cadets programs that were just marvels. I think that can happen to anyone who has been doing something for a very very long time. It's hard to stay fresh and current, while learning new things and perhaps forgetting (or at least letting rest) things you once knew. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Actually visual and design greatly impacts both scores 

It not only impacts both scores, it impacts the entire corps. One year I marched we had a great design and it was just a thrilling and exciting season, and we just took off. Another year, we had a subpar design and the season sucked. Not only from a competitive standpoint, but from a morale standpoint. It was just a long season and I couldn't wait for it to end. I thought the subpar design year had a more talented corps than the great design year, and the competitive results absolutely did not reflect that - because of the design.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

It not only impacts both scores, it impacts the entire corps. One year I marched we had a great design and it was just a thrilling and exciting season, and we just took off. Another year, we had a subpar design and the season sucked. Not only from a competitive standpoint, but from a morale standpoint. It was just a long season and I couldn't wait for it to end. I thought the subpar design year had a more talented corps than the great design year, and the competitive results absolutely did not reflect that - because of the design.

This sounds SOOOOOOOOOOO familiar. Check out the years I marched...

1 minute ago, 2000Cadet said:

This sounds SOOOOOOOOOOO familiar. Check out the years I marched...

1999 was the great year.

2000 was the year that sucked.

Joking, of course. Your 1999 show further illustrates my point. The design wasn't as good as Cadets shows normally are, and placement suffered as a result. Was the 1999 corps less talented than the 1998 or 2000 corps? I don't know, but the 1999 design certainly didn't help you. 2000, on the other hand, must have been such a fun year to march. I could watch that show endlessly. Masterpiece.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Exactly. I mean that man was brilliant throughout his career. THAT cannot be denied. He had a direct hand in countless Cadets programs that were just marvels. I think that can happen to anyone who has been doing something for a very very long time. It's hard to stay fresh and current, while learning new things and perhaps forgetting (or at least letting rest) things you once knew. 

Someone asked earlier who the wild card might be this year.  I think it's the newly unshackled Cadets or, of course, Bloo.  It's hard to know (yet) about this season, but next year Cadets have a solid opportunity for a comeback.  

I can agree that design can have an impact on scores, but I don't buy that Cadets had a more talented corps than Boston in 2017, specifically in the brass and percussion since it's clear Boston's guard had more talent. 

Rating talent is highly subjective though, I think caption scores are the closest thing to objectivity to go by if we want a feel for talent. In GE and visual Cadets were only 1 placement behind Boston, but when we look at the captions that's where the biggest gaps are. 

EDIT:

And I'll add that I don't think Cadet's design was so bad that it was to the level of detriment others believe it was.

Edited by Narrow

Just now, Ediker said:

Someone asked earlier who the wild card might be this year.  I think it's the newly unshackled Cadets or, of course, Bloo.  It's hard to know (yet) about this season, but next year Cadets have a solid opportunity for a comeback.  

I also think Regiment can be tossed in the mix, but I think they made a poor choice re: uniforms. With everything coming out being so modern, Regiment might look oldish in comparison. But the show is great and the visual design is a HUGE step forward.

1 minute ago, Narrow said:

I can agree that design can have an impact on scores, but I don't buy that Cadets had a more talented corps than Boston in 2017, specifically in the brass and percussion since it's clear Boston's guard had more talent. 

Rating talent is highly subjective though, I think caption scores are the closest thing to objectivity to go by if we want a feel for talent. In GE and visual Cadets were only 1 placement behind Boston, but when we look at the captions that's where the biggest gaps are. 

I agree that weighing the level of talent is subjective, but BAC barely made finals in 2016 and Cadets were 6th (and in gold medal contention one year prior) so unless BAC had almost an entirely new membership in 2017, I don't see how they could have been as talented as the Cadets. But, you're right, there's really no way to weigh that. Whether or not they had the same talent level, less, or more, they certainly had the superior design (on all levels), so that was really the boost to beating the Cadets last year.