2018 Predictions

46 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

I love how Crown was in talks for 5th - 7th, and now are 2nd. :lol:

I never had Crown down that far. I originally had them 3rd, now I have them 2nd.

22 minutes ago, skevinp said:

They had a run of 6th place finishes recently, but they seem to be back on their game again as we near the end of the pre-season.  

I think they still have a solid chance of pre-medaling.  

Huh? The only time, since 2007, Crown didn't make top 4 was 2014 (they placed 5th). Other than that, they have been top 4 every year starting in 2008.-

7 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

After watching their preview I just don't see them making finals. It's too bad. 2016 was such a magical season for them, and that wonderful show design let them far exceed expectations. I think 2017 was a step down from 2016, and I think 2018 is a step down from 2017. 

Agree.

The desks seem like a waste. They're constantly moving them around with no real impact or value that I could tell.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, queenanne_1536 said:

After watching their preview I just don't see them making finals. It's too bad. 2016 was such a magical season for them, and that wonderful show design let them far exceed expectations. I think 2017 was a step down from 2016, and I think 2018 is a step down from 2017. 

Disagreed; I think the preview video shows the makings of a mature concept that has a ton of room to be fleshed out. After listening to the field podcasts, it sounds like they have the staff to do just that, with Lindsey Vento initially reading as a terrific find to visually & conceptually match Klesch's spectacular music books. 2018 doesn't strike me as lightning in a bottle (yet) like 2016 did (almost initially, even), but it DOES read, to me at least, as a sophisticated design that punches well above their 14th place finish last year. As we saw last season, there's no shortage of talent, vets, and terrific performers in The Academy; they just need a well-planned and clear show to match that. 2016 of course checked that box and more; 2017 ended up falling far short of that mark (constant rewrites, even up through Finals week, most notably in the guard & visual caption departments, made for a show that never quite clicked, and the constant upheaval of the visual package & direction never matched Klesch's well-written music book, which remained relatively unchanged throughout the season). 

By all accounts, they've solved that issue by bringing Vento in, and appear to be approaching this season firing on all cylinders in terms of preparedness and clarity of direction. Again, we've seen over the last 2 years that the corps has the talent to hang execution-wise with the other Finalist groups. Now that a well-designed show accompanies that talent again, I see them easily gunning for Finals.

27 minutes ago, Ediker said:

It's all guesses.  Not a single judge's sheet has been scribbled.

I still think that @Jeff Ream has the best prediction every year...

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I don't know about 2018 being a step down from 2017. I saw/ heard a bit more technical demand in the show, and a little bit better executed for early June that last season at this juncture... but who knows.. time will tell.

Edited by BRASSO

26 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Huh? The only time, since 2007, Crown didn't make top 4 was 2014 (they placed 5th). Other than that, they have been top 4 every year starting in 2008.-

Perhaps Tek can provide a GIF of something flying completely over somebody's head.  :D

• Like 1