2018 Predictions

We interrupt your regularly predicted guesses to bring you this commercial:

“SCV- Making the 80’s Sweater Look Good!”

Edited by wesleyrp
  • Haha 1

My initial assessment after seeing all of the medal contenders is that going into the first full week of tour is that there are 3 championship designs and 5 medalist designs. It's early enough though that we may still see some developments that will shake things up going into the July regionals.  Also, looking at the West vs East scores, I'd wager that the West is skewing about .4-.8 higher compared to the East. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3PoC said:

My initial assessment after seeing all of the medal contenders is that going into the first full week of tour is that there are 3 championship designs and 5 medalist designs. It's early enough though that we may still see some developments that will shake things up going into the July regionals.  Also, looking at the West vs East scores, I'd wager that the West is skewing about .4-.8 higher compared to the East. 

There is no such thing as west coast inflation. You can't compare scores from different shows, so we don't know who is where. I'd venture to say SCV and BD are 1-2, based on the simple fact that BD is always 1 or 2 (at least since 2006) and SCV beat them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

There is no such thing as west coast inflation. You can't compare scores from different shows, so we don't know who is where. I'd venture to say SCV and BD are 1-2, based on the simple fact that BD is always 1 or 2 (at least since 2006) and SCV beat them.

I knew someone would say something like that. It's cool. Just having fun guessing and sharing my opinion. 

• Like 2

Serious question about Vanguard. So they scored .6 higher than the Blue Devils (who are obviously the favorites to win every year) despite missing a movement and a couple obvious big mistakes (like the ballad brass hit not being super well timed together and the electronic issues they were having with some brass microphones at parts). With that closer being as incredible as it is (if you haven't heard it already, you're gonna love it), could we be looking at a challenger for the 99.65 mark?

Too early prediction, after watching bad reception last night on both shows.

1.  SCV

2.  Bluecoats/BD

3.  BD/Bluecoats

4.  Cavies/Crown

5.  Crown/Cavies

6.  Boston

7.  Cadets

8.  Blue Knights/Phantom

9.  Phantom/Blue Knights

10. Crossmen/Blue Stars

11. Blue Stars/Crossmen

12. Madison/Mandarins/The Academy/Colts

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, brassdude6171 said:

...could we be looking at a challenger for the 99.65 mark?

The 99.65 was more about the judges not managing their numbers. They should be able to adequately space 12 corps over 100 pts. No doubt SCV is out for gold this year!

20 minutes ago, Ediker said:

The 99.65 was more about the judges not managing their numbers. They should be able to adequately space 12 corps over 100 pts. No doubt SCV is out for gold this year!

Yes, thank you. So ridiculous that they couldn't manage their numbers correctly given they do it every year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, brassdude6171 said:

could we be looking at a challenger for the 99.65 mark?

Far to early to have any certainty about final placements; possibility of a record score is too speculative to warrant discussion at this point. I mean SVC is certainly off to an impressive start, but we’re still at the point in the season where the top corps are just scoring in the low 70s. 

• Thanks 1

I just saw (not so good) recordings of the Academy and Colts.  Here are my thoughts.

Academy: I personally think it's a step up from last year (which I didn't like in the least).  The horn line reminds me of Drum Corps Bride.  However, I'm not entirely sold on the whole package of the show.  the recording was iffy, but I wasn't impressed by the drill or the cg work...  If Academy remains competitive, it'll be because of their horn line, which will outplay its book...  I'm excited to see where they end up!  Also to see them in person at Pasadena!!!

Colts: I miss the crazy drill the Colts did back in my day, however, this brass book is the toughest the Colts have had in a long time.  There is a stellar horn line there with a really well rounded show.  The drill is extremely entertaining, but I hope it remains competitive.  I would say they're as dirty (visually) as Blue Stars or Phantom...  Overall, if they clean up and their guard steps up, I see no reason why they won't be in competition for finals... Wish I could see them in person!

• Like 2