2018 Predictions

11 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Madison out, Mandarins in. I don't see any of last year's 1-11 not getting in again.

Stars and/or Crossmen could easily be knocked out as well —- Academy & Spirit have been keep pace with them about a point - point and a half underneath for the last few contests. With cross country scores that close and no head to head match ups yet, and considering the point in the season, it’s definitely too early to call either group as a sure bet for Finals. I’m loving the strength of 10-17 this year!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

Stars and/or Crossmen could easily be knocked out as well —- Academy & Spirit have been keep pace with them about a point - point and a half underneath for the last few contests. With cross country scores that close and no head to head match ups yet, and considering the point in the season, it’s definitely too early to call either group as a sure bet for Finals. I’m loving the strength of 10-17 this year!

I'm not sure I'd put Blue Stars and Crossmen with the rest of that group, or even Mandarins. Spirit is off to a great start, and I'm so happy because I have loved them since '84, but I think them making finals in a long shot. Mandarins are well ahead of Academy, and seeing them both live I'd be shell shocked if Academy caught Mandarins. It's been a fun season, we can agree on that.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I'm not sure I'd put Blue Stars and Crossmen with the rest of that group, or even Mandarins. Spirit is off to a great start, and I'm so happy because I have loved them since '84, but I think them making finals in a long shot. Mandarins are well ahead of Academy, and seeing them both live I'd be shell shocked if Academy caught Mandarins. It's been a fun season, we can agree on that.

I think you're assuming Mandarins will be the corps to beat if someone else wants to get into finals. At this point in the season (and Mandarins could stall like crazy and drop in the rankings by the season's end, etc.), Mandarins seem to be landing ahead of Stars & Xmen, pushing both corps to 11 & 12 at the moment. Academy or Spirit don't need to catch Mandarins at this point --- just Stars or Xmen, which is something that could very well happen (or not happen). 

Mandarins have consistently been scoring at the top of the 10 - 17 group the entire season (which isn't much yet). Xmen & Stars have been scoring close to each other, but also have been scoring consistently below Mandarins (different shows, yada yada). They've been sitting neatly in 11 & 12 all season. Academy & Spirit are consistently within a point/point and a half of Xmen & Stars at same day contests (again, thousands of miles apart, etc.). They've had 13 & 14 on lock for the season. I think it would be silly to discount either group tackling Stars or Crossmen with such close scores at cross country contests and no head to head match ups yet. 

Haven't made one yet, too cautious in the off-season. Too cautious even now. Due to job changes and things going on, won't see a live show this year :(. Will have to wait for theater-cast.

1. SCV - I feel it.
2. BD - should clean up but may be 1-3
3. Coats - Has everything it needs to win, and I love everything about it. Guard is 'functional" to my eyes on only streaming, maybe a little overscored.
4. Cavies - staying on trend on one-upping their nearest competitor at the last competition of the year
5. Crown - show needs to be clarified and make sense for them to move up. Top performers. 
6. Boston - great show, just doesn't have enough drill and flags stay on back stage right most of the show. Wonderful in all captions, not sure why that section of guard is not integrated more
7. Cadets - love em more than I have in a long time
8. Phantom - wild guess, but they'll clean
9. BK 
10. Mandies
11. Crossmen
12. Spirit - my gut says Stars will stay, but this is my want pick

• Like 6

Let's get crazy. For the record I am still riding on an earlier season prediction of mine (SCV, BD, Bluecoats) for medals... while this is highly unlikely it's looking not totally impossible.

1. Bluecoats

2. SCV

3. Crown (they are running consistently ahead if Cavies)

4. BD (haha yeah right)

5. Boston (slow climb)

6. Cavaliers

7. BK (last minute push)

8. Cadets

9. Phantom

10. Spirit (oh come on I just like them)

11. Mandarins

12. Academy

13. XMen

14. BS

15. Madison

16. Colts

17. OC

18. Troop

19. PC

20. Music City baby

21. Cascades

22. Genesis

23. Surf

24. Pioneer

3 open class corps make  semifinals.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2018 at 1:24 PM, corps8294 said:

Move ins have begun for a number of corps and the shows are starting to come together, in full, for the 2018 season. Time for the predictions. Ready, steady, go! 

1. Blue Devils
2. Santa Clara Vanguard
3. Carolina Crown
4. Bluecoats
5. Boston Crusaders
6. Cavaliers
7. The Cadets
8. Blue Knights
9. Blue Stars/Phantom Regiment
10. Blue Stars/Phantom Regiment
11. Mandarins
12. Madison Scouts
13. Crossmen
14. Academy
15. Colts
16. Troopers
17. Blue Devils B
18. Spirit of Atlanta
19. Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets
20. Pacific Crest
21. Oregon Crusaders
22. Seattle Cascades
23. Genisis
24. Music City
25. Legends
26. Jersey Surf
27. Pioneer
28. Spartans

I always make predictions every 4th of July so coming soon  but I will say I don't think Crown will finish lower than 2nd 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jake W. said:

I think you're assuming Mandarins will be the corps to beat if someone else wants to get into finals.

Yes, I am assuming that, and will continue to assume that until Mandarins beat Blue Stars and/or Crossmen in head-to-head competition. I do not see it as 10-17. I see it as 13-16/17. Both Blue Stars and Crossmen are well ahead of Academy, Madison, Colts, Troopers and Spirit). They both topped Madison by nearly 4 points last night - that does not put them in the same grouping - not by a long shot. That is a gargantuan gap to overcome. 

Making assumptions based on anything other than head-to-head is useless to me. As is comparing scores from different shows and making assumptions. Last year Bluecoats (out east) were consistently overscoring BD and SCV (out west), on the same nights, and sometimes by over 2 points. I saw countless people asserting Bluecoats were out front. No, you're not out in front until you beat BD head-to-head in any given year. What happened when SCV and BD ventured east? Bluecoats were instantly pushed down to 3rd before finishing 5th.

I've seen Mandarins live and I believe the are a near 100% lock for finals. After seeing Crossmen and Blue Stars on numerous video recordings, I am convinced their designs are better than anyone outside of 12th place last year (save Mandarins). While I do believe Mandarins could beat both of them, I do not believe either will miss finals. Design plays such a heavy had these days, and I believe Blue Stars, Crossmen and Mandarins have designs that not only appeal to the judges, but are a step above those who are beneath them. 

I would LOVE more than anything to be proved wrong by SoA and would love for them to make finals. That would make me a happy, happy guy.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, flamparadiddlediddle1 said:

The current ranking on DCI is interesting.                   

Yeah, Oregon Crusaders have now dropped to 2nd. 

16 hours ago, c.l. said:

Haven't made one yet, too cautious in the off-season. Too cautious even now. Due to job changes and things going on, won't see a live show this year :(. Will have to wait for theater-cast.

1. SCV - I feel it.
2. BD - should clean up but may be 1-3
3. Coats - Has everything it needs to win, and I love everything about it. Guard is 'functional" to my eyes on only streaming, maybe a little overscored.
4. Cavies - staying on trend on one-upping their nearest competitor at the last competition of the year
5. Crown - show needs to be clarified and make sense for them to move up. Top performers. 
6. Boston - great show, just doesn't have enough drill and flags stay on back stage right most of the show. Wonderful in all captions, not sure why that section of guard is not integrated more
7. Cadets - love em more than I have in a long time
8. Phantom - wild guess, but they'll clean
9. BK 
10. Mandies
11. Crossmen
12. Spirit - my gut says Stars will stay, but this is my want pick

not arguing your prediction, but "Boston doesn't have enough drill"?!  they have one of the hardest drills this year.  I agree that the back flags are not integrated enough but the weapon guard is a top 3 guard right now. 

• Like 1