2018 Predictions

Just now, flamparadiddlediddle1 said:

Aha   :blow:        something amiss . 

My best guess is that DCI's ranking system does not look at year, so it is picking up OCs scores from end of last year.

2 hours ago, Den8uml said:

not arguing your prediction, but "Boston doesn't have enough drill"?!  they have one of the hardest drills this year.  I agree that the back flags are not integrated enough but the weapon guard is a top 3 guard right now. 

The second movement is spent rocking hips and doing what's currently on trend with movement. I stand by my assessment for now, but it may warrant a rewatch. Honestly, that's what I noticed immediately with the flag line among the trees, and not ill intent. Is there a section I need to watch for with the drill?

• Confused 1

You mentioned that you hadn't seen Boston live.  If that is the case, you are not getting an accurate picture of what is happening on the field. The trees are over on side 1, which of course is the left side of the field.  That guard has a brief feature within that set, but then they leave that stage fairly quickly.  In actual fact, BAC's 42 member guard is literally all over the place, at times covering the entire field.  Actually, there are substantial sequences where there are no flags out there at all.. with rifles, sabres, and spears being featured.  Many members actually perform on multiple pieces of equipment during the show and frankly the focus is on the weapons much of the time.  As someone who witnessed (in person) the show being taught during ST and ensemble rehearsals before both the Lawrence and Lynn shows this past weekend, I can tell you that this guard is even better than last year's, which placed third each night at Indy.

Everyone is entitled to like or dislike any group, but to suggest that BAC is "parking" their flag line out back somewhere is just not factual.

• Like 1

I never said I disliked, you don't have to put words in my mouth k? I've traditionally been a Crown honk, but I'm the most critical with some of their decisions with this show at the moment. You don't catch that tbh b/c this is your group. And that's okay. I'm aware of my limitations, which is why I left a big fat disclaimer beforehand.

Edited by c.l.

49 minutes ago, craiga said:

You mentioned that you hadn't seen Boston live.  If that is the case, you are not getting an accurate picture of what is happening on the field. The trees are over on side 1, which of course is the left side of the field.  That guard has a brief feature within that set, but then they leave that stage fairly quickly.  In actual fact, BAC's 42 member guard is literally all over the place, at times covering the entire field.  Actually, there are substantial sequences where there are no flags out there at all.. with rifles, sabres, and spears being featured.  Many members actually perform on multiple pieces of equipment during the show and frankly the focus is on the weapons much of the time.  As someone who witnessed (in person) the show being taught during ST and ensemble rehearsals before both the Lawrence and Lynn shows this past weekend, I can tell you that this guard is even better than last year's, which placed third each night at Indy.

Everyone is entitled to like or dislike any group, but to suggest that BAC is "parking" their flag line out back somewhere is just not factual.

I also better check myself because I'm falling out of love with DCI in general, and that informs my overall bias. However, I love what BAC is putting on the field.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2018 at 2:32 PM, Rocketman said:

So then, if we are to see Mandarins and Spirit in finals, who is out?

Wisconsin is out, obviously. 

15 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

Clever...and there is a small chance it could happen.

It is sad, but I think Mandarins are in and Madison is out already.

Spirit being in and the current 12th place scoring corps, Blue Stars, being out would be sad for Blue Stars; it would be story of the year for Spirit of Atlanta.

I like all their shows generally.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1