In The News – Drum Corps Chairman Resigns Amid Scrutiny Of His Hiring Of Disgraced Teacher

The chairman of Drum Corps International’s board of directors has resigned, just days after he came under scrutiny for employing a man who lost his teaching license in Florida because he sent sexually explicit text messages to a student. Fred Morrison, who remains executive director of the Crossmen drum corps of San Antonio, Texas, had […]

View the full article

A “distraction” to DCI but guess it’s not a “distraction” to Crossmen. And always wonder when a head refers to something as “my own”. No man you work for Crossmen you don’t own them.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

46 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

A “distraction” to DCI but guess it’s not a “distraction” to Crossmen. And always wonder when a head refers to something as “my own”. No man you work for Crossmen you don’t own them.

IMO, you're overreacting.  How else was he to identify his own corps?  Say "Crossmen"? 

There are lots of nits to pick with this announcement, but I don't think his choice of words in this case is one of them, IMO.

I think you can be sure that "his" BoD has reviewed his actions - heck, I'm on record suggesting that, likely, his BoD was involved in his decision in the first place.  But that's as unconfirmed as other possibilities.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, garfield said:

IMO, you're overreacting.  How else was he to identify his own corps?  Say "Crossmen"? 

There are lots of nits to pick with this announcement, but I don't think his choice of words in this case is one of them, IMO.

I think you can be sure that "his" BoD has reviewed his actions - heck, I'm on record suggesting that, likely, his BoD was involved in his decision in the first place.  But that's as unconfirmed as other possibilities.

Probably wouldn’t have picked up on it except for the reason given for leaving DCI board. Which for some reason doesn’t apply to Crossmen. That and some thoughts going back to Crossmen under YEA which would derail the thread. Can see your point but combine that quote with other things going on and makes me wonder

10 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Probably wouldn’t have picked up on it except for the reason given for leaving DCI board. Which for some reason doesn’t apply to Crossmen. That and some thoughts going back to Crossmen under YEA which would derail the thread. Can see your point but combine that quote with other things going on and makes me wonder

It seemed pretty clear to me. I think you are reading waaaay too much into this. To me stated that he did not want his decisions with one corps, the Xmen, to muddy the waters in DCI as a whole. 

42 minutes ago, MikeD said:

It seemed pretty clear to me. I think you are reading waaaay too much into this. To me stated that he did not want his decisions with one corps, the Xmen, to muddy the waters in DCI as a whole. 

what’s going on in a distraction to DCI would it not be the same with the corps? I’ll give way on the “my corps” bit but this is a double standard imo.And I read distraction here as being harmful to the organizations involved.

edit as reread the link and corrected my response. Is this not a distraction to Crossmen or don’t people with the corps know or care? Or is it a distraction and he is deaf to it or doesn’t care.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

what’s going on in a distraction to DCI would it not be the same with the corps? I’ll give way on the “my corps” bit but this is a double standard imo.And I read distraction here as being harmful to the organizations involved.

edit as reread the link and corrected my response. Is this not a distraction to Crossmen or don’t people with the corps know or care? Or is it a distraction and he is deaf to it or doesn’t care.

From my reading of his statement, whether or not it is a distraction for his corps is not relevant in this particular statement. I read it as him stating that whatever is happening as a result of his decision-making with the Xmen, he did not want it to impact DCI in a more general way. I don't think he is deaf to it at this point, given what he said and did now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeD said:

From my reading of his statement, whether or not it is a distraction for his corps is not relevant in this particular statement. I read it as him stating that whatever is happening as a result of his decision-making with the Xmen, he did not want it to impact DCI in a more general way. I don't think he is deaf to it at this point, given what he said and did now.

Understand Mike he is talking about DCI only. I am taking it to an area he did not discuss which is Crossmen. Sorry if I confused things

Edited by JimF-LowBari

5 hours ago, garfield said:

Yup. They were ok that he withheld information from students and parents since 2012. 

• Like 4

So I just want to make sure I have this straight.

Is Joel Moody still the Assistant Director of the Crossmen?

if so, then didn’t Fred Morrison just *add* to the distraction by making people wonder why he stepped down from DCI Chairman and not Crossmen, as well as retaining Joel?

How does this prevent more distraction??

Without knowing Joel Moody myself, what is so special about him that warrants staying on in a youth activity after he lost his teaching license to teach youth?  He can’t teach youth in a school but can in DCI??

• Thanks 2