In The News – Drum Corps Chairman Resigns Amid Scrutiny Of His Hiring Of Disgraced Teacher

11 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I’ll just go ahead and say it... bag any percentages found here there and anywhere, you’re still taking a chance and is it worth it? 

Its worth it if the person who makes the decision thinks it is worth it. Morrison obviously thought so, given his life experience and philosophy at the time he made it, back in 2012. Nothing came to him to question that decision until all of this broke this year. None of the staff members quoted in the article felt comfortable going to him, so they did not. Whether or not he would have reacted as they might have wished is all speculative, since he was never told. 

18 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Its worth it if the person who makes the decision thinks it is worth it. Morrison obviously thought so, given his life experience and philosophy at the time he made it, back in 2012. Nothing came to him to question that decision until all of this broke this year. None of the staff members quoted in the article felt comfortable going to him, so they did not. Whether or not he would have reacted as they might have wished is all speculative, since he was never told. 

If Moody was working only with Morrison and nobody else I would agree. But.... Moody was working with members who had no clue of his background. Morrison decided for the members that it was worth the chance. If I was a marcher I’d want to make the decision if it was worth the chance as it would affect me directly. Of course I’m anal like that when I’m writing the check (to the corps). That dang cheapo PA German background.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I apologize if this was mentioned elsewhere, but I didn't recall seeing it. The original article indicates that Mr. Moody's license revocation was for five years. If that began in 2010, he's been legally able to teach in Florida since at least 2015. That does not change anything about his original hiring by Crossmen, of course, but there is a big difference between a lifetime revocation of a license and a permanent ban on future public employment.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

If Moody was working only with Morrison and nobody else I would agree. But.... Moody was working with members who had no clue of his background. Morrison decided for the members that it was worth the chance. If I was a marcher I’d want to make the decision if it was worth the chance as it would affect me directly

Not to get into this BUT because no one said anything ( I find that hard to believe ) doesn't mean people didn't know. Most people will google a person, place, corps, guard, staff, etc etc to get the scoop. plus it's not like any of this was a secret. It is out there.

Edited by GUARDLING

10 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Not to get into this BUT because no one said anything ( I find that hard to believe ) doesn't mean people didn't know. Most people will google a person, place, corps, guard, staff, etc etc to get the scoop. plus it's not like any of this was a secret.

Edit misread intent of post

Edited by JimF-LowBari

3 minutes ago, DrumCorpsRadio said:

I apologize if this was mentioned elsewhere, but I didn't recall seeing it. The original article indicates that Mr. Moody's license revocation was for five years. If that began in 2010, he's been legally able to teach in Florida since at least 2015. That does not change anything about his original hiring by Crossmen, of course, but there is a big difference between a lifetime revocation of a license and a permanent ban on future public employment.

the 5 years ran from Dec. 8, 2011, the date of the final Order - so through Dec. 8, 2016

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

Wow so don’t trust the organization to be forthright, do it on your own. Would like to see this stand up in a law suit “well it was online, don’t blame us it they didn’t dig hard enough”. Seriously who was in on the secret and where online was it waiting to be found.

I didnt say it was right or wrong. I said I find it hard to believe so many knew nothing.. I also did not say they shouldnt have said something

5 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

If Moody was working only with Morrison and nobody else I would agree. But.... Moody was working with members who had no clue of his background. Morrison decided for the members that it was worth the chance. If I was a marcher I’d want to make the decision if it was worth the chance as it would affect me directly. Of course I’m anal like that when I’m writing the check (to the corps). That dang cheapo PA German background.

I understand what you might want, but it does seem Morrison decided it was  his position and his alone to make the call. Good or bad, that was his call to make. Looking backwards in time it is easy to disagree with his decision, but it was his call in a different world.

Anybody looking online would have discovered the earlier stories on their own, of course. Other Crossmen staff knew of his background, and so did the Florida corps he worked for and other corps admins. 

• Like 2

Just now, GUARDLING said:

I didnt say it was right or wrong. I said I find it hard to believe so many knew nothing.. I also did not say they shouldnt have said something

Ok I’ll direct my thunderbolts else where lol.... which does bring up the serious question of what information potential members be told before hand

5 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I understand what you might want, but it does seem Morrison decided it was  his position and his alone to make the call. Good or bad, that was his call to make. Looking backwards in time it is easy to disagree with his decision, but it was his call in a different world.

Anybody looking online would have discovered the earlier stories on their own, of course. Other Crossmen staff knew of his background, and so did the Florida corps he worked for and other corps admins. 

So what is the magic google phrase to find this info. Seriously it would never hit me to google corps staff to see if they had any skeletons like this in the closet. Sorry Mike but you are making it sound like it is the members fault for not playing detective to find this info. Is the lesson learned here is don’t trust staff kids look it up yourself to cya 

Edited by JimF-LowBari