In The News – Drum Corps Chairman Resigns Amid Scrutiny Of His Hiring Of Disgraced Teacher

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Ok quick question: would corps members know the names of all the staff and other workers before they go on tour. We seemed to have a revolving door at times as we rebuilt and had different needs. Thinking of ability to do it yourself checks here. And I’m sure the ye olde no internet on tour went out the window with smart phones. Like the no cameras of any kind at work kinda went kaput

For sure. If they chose to either ask or get a list. Kids today look 1st then go to a corps. Many will follow a staff member and if that staff moves on many of the member's will. Very different from past years. AS far as phone and internet. You can go on a bus and hear a cricket ( not like when we were younger ) kids 2 seats away from another are texting each other. Or friends in other corps.

7 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

it seems now parents should do it as a best business practice going forward

We tend to forget. In many of these WC corps parent involvement usually are the same ole same ole parents. I  did many auditions over the years and YES there are some parents there but for the most part, unless they are very young ( not many in WC upper corps ) there aren't a huge amount of parents

Edited by GUARDLING

2 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

For sure. If they chose to either ask or get a list. Kids today look 1st then go to a corps. Many will follow a staff member and if that staff moves on many of the member's will. Very different from past years. AS far as phone and internet. You can go on a bus and hear a cricket ( not like when we were younger ) kids 2 seats away from another are texting each other. Or friends in other corps.

My younger days would have been rotary cell phone owned by Ma Bell and leased by me. Ok kidding on cell phone part but not on rotary and no private ownership of the actual phone until early 80s.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

My younger days would have been rotary cell phone owned by Ma Bell and leased by me. Ok kidding on cell phone part but not on rotary and no private ownership of the actual phone until early 80s.

yep for sure...same here....very different world

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GUARDLING said:

yep for sure...same here....very different world

Went on vacation 1992 and place had no phone for the entire week. Didn’t think a thing of it. Hades now if I go to work and leave the cell in the car I go out and get it. Different world and some of us were changed by it lol.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

We tend to forget. In many of these WC corps parent involvement usually are the same ole same ole parents. I  did many auditions over the years and YES there are some parents there but for the most part, unless they are very young ( not many in WC upper corps ) there aren't a huge amount of parents

well going forward ALL parents should look into things

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lead said:

While I'm obviously not condoning the actions, the answer to your question is simply because being on a DCI corps staff doesn't require a teaching license.

Right - I do understand the literal difference.  I was getting at the point of why Moody’s employment should be considered not ok in one environment with youth but ok in another.

You bring up a good point.  You don’t need a teaching license to work on a drum corps staff, but shouldn’t the revocation of a teaching license speak much more loudly than not having one in the first place?

Edited by Quad Aces
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Quad Aces said:

Right - I do understand the literal difference.  I was getting at the point of why Moody’s employment should be considered not ok in one environment with youth but ok in another.

You bring up a good point.  You don’t need a teaching license to work on a drum corps staff, but shouldn’t the revocation of a teaching license speak much more loudly than not having one in the first place?

don't use logic, this is drum corps

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

don't use logic, this is drum corps

...or common sense....so rare these days, it may be deemed a superpower.

• Haha 1