In The News – Drum Corps Chairman Resigns Amid Scrutiny Of His Hiring Of Disgraced Teacher

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well going forward ALL parents should look into things

if they are over 18 if parents aren't paying and many don't they have no idea. It's easy to sit on one side and say what should be but often what is are 2 different things. Many winter programs ( and I have done countless ) with high dues also barely have a parent around.. and I mean barely.

IMO if we really want to attack this and many other issues for what they are we also need to assess and recognize exactly the reality of what the activity is and how it works. Not saying you aren't aware how it really is, just saying ALL parents actually made me chuckle a bit. In decades I don't think I've ever seen that. even with contracts, 18 or over, uultimately a members responsibility.

Edited by GUARDLING

6 hours ago, garfield said:

Isn't the Moody example one that shows public schools with firm policies are still subject to the problems we're trying to eliminate in corps?

Yes, but they deal better with the problems once they're discovered. At least if the systems in place are used properly. If they're not, people are likely to do jail time.

49 minutes ago, Quad Aces said:

Right - I do understand the literal difference.  I was getting at the point of why Moody’s employment should be considered not ok in one environment with youth but ok in another.

You bring up a good point.  You don’t need a teaching license to work on a drum corps staff, but shouldn’t the revocation of a teaching license speak much more loudly than not having one in the first place?

Fair question. I can't speak for anyone or any organization that's embroiled in this, but here's the rationale/excuse/call it what you wish I've heard over the years on it, sometimes here IIRC.

Well... most MM in DCI world class are now 18 and older, unlike public school teaching, and this isn't a school, people 18 and older are legally adults....... so you fall into a big, swampy dark gray area where one begins to spin a rationale where they can do this. That's been the rationale that's been given over the years. Hoping Jeff and Mister G as well as a couple of other folks shoot it full of holes.

Personally, I just think it's a rather foolish and contrived ethical and moral decision to think that way, especially in this day and age, but that's just me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well going forward ALL parents should look into things

Sure, caveat emptor, but how would that work in practice?

Should every parent be demanding to see the FBI background check on every employee at each corps their child is auditioning for?

12 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Should every parent be demanding to see the FBI background check on every employee at each corps their child is auditioning for?

It should be available on file for that very reason. Yes, it's cumbersome, but yes.

Edited by BigW

2 minutes ago, BigW said:

It should be available on file for that very reason. Yes, it's cumbersome, but yes.

In theory sure BUT many members although young are not children, especially in WC most do not walk in holding their parent's hand. These are facts. I also am speaking for winter programs. Hell, even with a HS program you don't see it much. That's another story.

1 minute ago, GUARDLING said:

In theory sure BUT many members although young are not children, especially in WC most do not walk in holding their parent's hand. These are facts. I also am speaking for winter programs. Hell, even with a HS program you don't see it much. That's another story.

Agreed. Everywhere I've worked in the Scholastic end of things, copies of my ACT 34/151/88 results were held on file by the school/school district and available for inspection.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

if they are over 18 if parents aren't paying and many don't they have no idea. It's easy to sit on one side and say what should be but often what is are 2 different things. Many winter programs ( and I have done countless ) with high dues also barely have a parent around.. and I mean barely.

IMO if we really want to attack this and many other issues for what they are we also need to assess and recognize exactly the reality of what the activity is and how it works. Not saying you aren't aware how it really is, just saying ALL parents actually made me chuckle a bit. In decades I don't think I've ever seen that. even with contracts, 18 or over, uultimately a members responsibility.

18 or not, parents or legal guardians have a right to know

47 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

If someone is hired with a past, it should be communicated. I don’t know if they necessarily need to see the background check because as we have seen twice now, the background check doesn’t show all.