In The News – Drum Corps Chairman Resigns Amid Scrutiny Of His Hiring Of Disgraced Teacher

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Sure, caveat emptor, but how would that work in practice?

Should every parent be demanding to see the FBI background check on every employee at each corps their child is auditioning for?

No, you place trust in those who make the final decisions.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, garfield said:

No, you place trust in those who make the final decisions.

Well that puts you on one side (parents should trust the leadership) and Jeff on the other (parents should verify that leadership is being honest). Is there a compromise position?

Meanwhile it occurs to me that the parents of students at Winter Park High School put their trust in their band director in 2010, and then he texted sexual messages to one of the students.

25 minutes ago, MikeD said:

If DCI is copying how education works...

If a college student is 18+, his/her parents/guardians do NOT have a right to know about their child's college experiences, grades, etc, unless the child signs a release.

In reality though, if the kid does not want to tell the parents his/ her grades, experiences, etc, the young adult, " 18+ ", can come up with the dough themselves for that adult like " experiences "of attendance at college. That'll get the " 18+ " young adult to sign that release pretty quickly, imo, Sign the release, or Dad/ Mom don't sign the school tuition checks.. and voila,.. problem solved.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well that puts you on one side (parents should trust the leadership) and Jeff on the other (parents should verify that leadership is being honest). Is there a compromise position?

Meanwhile it occurs to me that the parents of students at Winter Park High School put their trust in their band director in 2010, and then he texted sexual messages to one of the students.

Yes, and the question remains as whether we are going to presume something of others based on our experience, or whether we are going to judge others on their own merit.

17 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Sometimes, our trust in others in validated and sometimes it's not.  The latter does not invalidate the former.

18 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I am not here to be a pawn to someone else's issue.  That Jeff and I disagree is not fodder to bolster someone else's argument.  "Honest" is not a word I associate with this issue.  "Disclosure"  might be.

I don't believe that it was his obligation to disclose the background of his decision or his decision. 

Winter Park is not an example you can use to describe Moody's experience at Crossmen, or Crossmen's experience with Moody.

1 hour ago, MusicManNJ said:

He did not teach... as I understand it he was admin (I know a distinction without a difference for this discuss). Fred believed that Mr. Moody had changed. And since he joined the Crossmen there was no reported incident(s) he was ever accused of to the administration.

Every time you say this, and you have said it multiple times, I will challenge it. It is simply not true there were no reported incidents. Multiple (as in, more than two) staff met with the corps director and discussed concerns including examples, and were basically told the matter is not up for discussion. So, are you playing word games?  By "reported incident " do you mean something in writing?  A report filed with police?  This is too important an issue to play word games with. Staff (multiple) at Crossmen raised serious concerns with the corps director concerning Moody's behavior. Do you dispute this?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MusicManNJ said:

Fair point. Hindsight being 20/20 I am not sure he would do it again (particularly where we are as a country (and an activity) with this issue now. 

Moving forward in DCI, sometimes others learn a hard valuable lesson for themselves that when you knowingly engage in risky behaviors, in this case knowingly hiring a guy found repeatedly sex texting a female H.S. student in the past, there is probably going to ultimately be some dire consequences for that irresponsible decision to hire. Now, most Corps won't want to have happen to them what just happened to the Crossmen, nor to DCI HQ,. Sometimes its not the legal that gets the right thing to get done. Its watching the bad consequences that came about  with others that serves the same purpose, ie to get other Corps to act more responsibly on their future hires/ retentions.

The likes of Moody won't be hired any time soon in DCI, imo. Now, if I'm wrong on this, then we'll probably see a Corps or two not adequately learning a hard lesson through observance here, and thus most likely they'll be in the same soup like this for themselves and THEIR Corps in the future too.

Edited by BRASSO

Just now, Eleran said:

And yet, over in WGI ...

Oh ya... the house cleaning has just plugged the vaccum cleaner into the wall socket, imo. The house is by no means clean yet, imo.

Lots of vaccuming probably still remains throughout DCI/ WGI.