In The News – Drum Corps Chairman Resigns Amid Scrutiny Of His Hiring Of Disgraced Teacher

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

Moving forward in DCI, sometimes others learn a hard valuable lesson for themselves that when you knowingly engage in risky behaviors, in this case knowingly hiring a guy found repeatedly sex texting a female H.S. student in the past, there is probably going to ultimately be some dire consequences for that irresponsible decision to hire. Now, most Corps won't want to have happen to them what just happened to the Crossmen, nor to DCI HQ,. Sometimes its not the legal that gets the right thing to get done. Its watching the bad consequences that came about  with others that serves the same purpose, ie to get other Corps to act more responsibly on their future hires/ retentions.

The likes of Moody won't be hired any time soon in DCI, imo. Now, if I'm wrong on this, then we'll probably see a Corps or two not adequately learning a hard lesson through observance here, and thus most likely they'll be in the same soup like this for themselves and THEIR Corps in the future too.

Now he's irresponsible?  Geebus.  The man has given most of his adult life to the kids in the activity.

What have we become?

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

Moving forward in DCI, sometimes others learn a hard valuable lesson for themselves that when you knowingly engage in risky behaviors, in this case knowingly hiring a guy found repeatedly sex texting a female H.S. student in the past, there is probably going to ultimately be some dire consequences for that irresponsible decision to hire. Now, most Corps won't want to have happen to them what just happened to the Crossmen, nor to DCI HQ,. Sometimes its not the legal that gets the right thing to get done. Its watching the bad consequences that came about  with others that serves the same purpose, ie to get other Corps to act more responsibly on their future hires/ retentions.

The likes of Moody won't be hired any time soon in DCI, imo. Now, if I'm wrong on this, then we'll probably see a Corps or two not adequately learning a hard lesson through observance here, and thus most likely they'll be in the same soup like this for themselves and THEIR Corps in the future too.

OMG, your righteous indignation of human frailty is the pinnacle against which all others are judged.

Will you please stop?

"...not adequately learning a hard lesson..." if you're wrong.  No, you're just wrong.  No "hard lessons" needed.

You have NO IDEA about the future.  You can't see it any better than any other mortal human, so just freaking stop.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Now he's irresponsible?  Geebus.  The man has given most of his adult life to the kids in the activity.

What have we become?

Who's " we " ? Morrison make an irresponsible decision here. Morrison might be an ok guy too, who really knows. I believe even Morrison has come around to that acknowledgement that his hire of Moody was an irresponsible one. " We " can only hope so anyway. Others in DCI warned him.. even another DCI Corps Director too.  Morrison and DCI are now paying the consequences with the fall out of that irresponsible decision. It happened. So " we " ( DCI) hopefully learned not to make such irresponsible decisions to hire and then retain creeps like this ever again. Hopefully  " we " ( DCI ) learned this. Recall, you garfield were in favor of " second chances " for creeps like this being hired and retained in DCI. You stated as much on here months ago re " second chances " for those that ( in your words ) " have paid their dues ". But DCI is now bearing the fall out from that risky and irresponsible thinking, as too many believed in such " second chances " for those that have had repetitive episodes of sexual misconduct with young students. The good news here is  many now believe DCI Corps won't willfully and knowingly hire creeps with disgusting and perverted episodes like this ever again. There is nothing redemptive, nor enobling to willingly and knowingly put other people's children at high risk without their knowledge. That should go without saying. But then again, it appears that in some quarters( here on DCP anyway) it apparently DOES need to be said and reminded. If thats deemed sanctimonius by a few here, then so be it. The reminder will continue so long as unsuspecting youth and their parents are put at irresponsible and indefensible high risk like this. Count on it.

Edited by BRASSO

1 hour ago, garfield said:

What have we become?

So did GH. Just sayin (I'm not saying Morrison did things like GH. Don't freak out. )

Edited by HockeyDad

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well that puts you on one side (parents should trust the leadership) and Jeff on the other (parents should verify that leadership is being honest). Is there a compromise position?

Meanwhile it occurs to me that the parents of students at Winter Park High School put their trust in their band director in 2010, and then he texted sexual messages to one of the students.

Yes, he broke that trust, and he paid a price for it. Resigning his position and losing his license to teach in FL for 5 years. There are 10's of thousands HS band directors who did not break that trust.

3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Every time you say this, and you have said it multiple times, I will challenge it. It is simply not true there were no reported incidents. Multiple (as in, more than two) staff met with the corps director and discussed concerns including examples, and were basically told the matter is not up for discussion. So, are you playing word games?  By "reported incident " do you mean something in writing?  A report filed with police?  This is too important an issue to play word games with. Staff (multiple) at Crossmen raised serious concerns with the corps director concerning Moody's behavior. Do you dispute this?

Can you please show the link that led you to say this?

The articles I read from the first post in this thread (and some of the links), stated that one staff  member (Buckingham) back in 2013 approached  Morrison because of Moody's Winter Park issues, and in fact resigned in part because of Moody being on staff. 

The corps director of Genesis (Magonigal) also approached Morrison in 2014 with similar concerns, again, pointing out Moody's Winter Park experience, not new examples with the Xmen.

The young women from the staff who felt uncomfortable around Moody, and one who actually had a consensual relationship with him, never approached Morrison, from my reading.  

3 hours ago, BRASSO said:

We can but hope you are correct. I agree with that sentiment 1000% percent. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, garfield said:

Sometimes, our trust in others in validated and sometimes it's not.  The latter does not invalidate the former.

And the former does not invalidate that latter.

That said, I actually agree with you more than Jeff about this. I think it's impractical for parents to have to conduct research on every staff member.

But parents ought to be able to rely on more than just trust. There should be safeguards in place.

What if Morrison had said, when the news about Moody broke last week: Moody isn't going anywhere?

What should then have happened?