In The News – Drum Corps Chairman Resigns Amid Scrutiny Of His Hiring Of Disgraced Teacher

31 minutes ago, Various said:

I read this thread in an attempt to educate myself about this current issue.  I find much speculation when what matters, in my judgment, are facts.  I also find it very disturbing that the majority of the writers are male.  Isn't that how this all started?

Carol 

Perhaps you will find my opinion of little value because I, too, am a male, but I have found that any time I have asked for facts, encouraged fairness, and suggested rational discourse I have been shouted down, insulted and accused of all sorts of things by people who know nothing about me.  Or they just ignore it and go right on with the rants.  I suspect that people who are interested in facts have largely given up on these threads. I don't see that as a gender issue, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Various said:

You're probably right, Mike.  I just wonder sometimes.   Knowing his history, would a female Crossmen Director have elected to give the person in question another chance?  Especially if there were other qualified individuals.  

Carol 

There are few people...if any...of any gender who actually agree with his decision. My total guess from reading what is available is that there was some core belief that Morrison held (not really drum corps related) that made him think this hire was OK. Again....total guesswork extrapolating from what little there is in the way of hard data. With the little I have read about Morrison, I do not think he would knowingly have put the young members at risk. He honestly believed the "he has done his penance" type of thing he mentioned, and he thought as director he would be in total control.

It is not a call I would have made, for sure.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Various said:

I also find it very disturbing that the majority of the writers are male. 

Carol 

Absolutely need more females like you, who will speak up and make themselves heard.  

Edited by Eleran
  • Thanks 4

19 minutes ago, Various said:

You're probably right, Mike.  I just wonder sometimes.   Knowing his history, would a female Crossmen Director have elected to give the person in question another chance?  Especially if there were other qualified individuals.  

Carol 

Interesting question but suggest that some male directors would have not accepted him either.

Glad to see you are still posting

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

I do not know Morrison at all (Amil????). How much of his decision-making and pushback on subsequent discussion was based on his internal deep-seated core attitudes and beliefs at that time? Again, I have no direct knowledge of the man, but some of the peripheral comments make me wonder.

I am just going to limit my comments to the management style.

It was a very "Political" management style. There were two kinds of people, "The people who were there, and the people who heard about it." Conversations that were had on the bus were reported to management. It was like a twisted game of telephone. People were set against each other, purposefully. I don't know who EXACTLY was doing this but, it was the management style. Some relationships recovered some have not. A great friend of mine told me," if you can get through a summer with the same friends you came in with, it been a good summer." I found this to be very true.

So in that context, the logic of "this is my decision, and that's that." Makes sense. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

As a person, I think Fred is more than a decent man. I do. I think he made a decision that was naive initially. The repeated decision to ignore people when they did have issues with it, I don't want to characterize. I have my opinion about it, but my opinion about it makes no real difference. We are where we are.

As I said, I felt it was a huge risk and an exposure to bad PR for the Corps and the Activity writ large was, again, "UNWARRANTED."

As far as motivations driving it? I don't know and I don't think it matters. The only thing that matters is getting it right. That means acknowledging some less than pleasant things and making the prerequisite changes. My worry with Drum Corps is it is so EGO driven for some people. I think having a Chairman of the BoD of DCI who is not concerned with placements, scores, "advantage seeking" and is truly an Independent voice is long over due.

One of two things will happen. Things will begin to get fixed, or, she will not be listened to and she will resign and we are back to square one.

• Thanks 6

1 hour ago, Various said:

I read this thread in an attempt to educate myself about this current issue.  I find much speculation when what matters, in my judgment, are facts.  I also find it very disturbing that the majority of the writers are male.  Isn't that how this all started?

Carol 

the fact is this: Morrison hired the guy in 2012 knowing his past. He shut down any discussion about it when raised by people with legitimate concerns and he never once was upfront with students and/or parents about Moddy's past. Everything was going good until the Hopkins story broke.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

the fact is this: Morrison hired the guy in 2012 knowing his past. He shut down any discussion about it when raised by people with legitimate concerns and he never once was upfront with students and/or parents about Moddy's past. Everything was going good until the Hopkins story broke.

Interesting.  Even more interesting is that the "concerned" people didn't take it further when they were refused intercession.  What stopped them?

Carol

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Amil Muzz said:

I am just going to limit my comments to the management style.

It was a very "Political" management style. There were two kinds of people, "The people who were there, and the people who heard about it." Conversations that were had on the bus were reported to management. It was like a twisted game of telephone. People were set against each other, purposefully. I don't know who EXACTLY was doing this but, it was the management style. Some relationships recovered some have not. A great friend of mine told me," if you can get through a summer with the same friends you came in with, it been a good summer." I found this to be very true.

So in that context, the logic of "this is my decision, and that's that." Makes sense. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

As a person, I think Fred is more than a decent man. I do. I think he made a decision that was naive initially. The repeated decision to ignore people when they did have issues with it, I don't want to characterize. I have my opinion about it, but my opinion about it makes no real difference. We are where we are.

As I said, I felt it was a huge risk and an exposure to bad PR for the Corps and the Activity writ large was, again, "UNWARRANTED."

As far as motivations driving it? I don't know and I don't think it matters. The only thing that matters is getting it right. That means acknowledging some less than pleasant things and making the prerequisite changes. My worry with Drum Corps is it is so EGO driven for some people. I think having a Chairman of the BoD of DCI who is not concerned with placements, scores, "advantage seeking" and is truly an Independent voice is long over due.

One of two things will happen. Things will begin to get fixed, or, she will not be listened to and she will resign and we are back to square one.

Thanks for speaking up, Jason.  

If I remember anything about Kathy, her ego was definitely in check.  I recall none of that from her.  She did her job in the corps well and was a valuable member. 

2 minutes ago, Various said:

Interesting.  Even more interesting is that the "concerned" people didn't take it further when they were refused intercession.  What stopped them?

Carol

Good question at this point would be who to go to next? Hopefully today DCI would be a good place. Back then (a whole few weeks ago) might have been police but if victim not willing to go further....

• Like 1