How Far Is Too Far?

1 minute ago, BRASSO said:

Nobody said so, nor implied this either. So I don't even know why you brought such a number up.

1 is frankly" too many ", imo. Especially when it appears that " more than one of them " in DCI could have been prevented from occuring..

I agree. I only stated that as far as MMs or adults 1 issue is 1 too many for sure, that does not excuse adult or young adult. Both have been there.

4 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

if you want statistics I also don't think there are hundreds of adults assaulting kids either. It gets attention for sure when there is even 1 As it should.. AS far as the kids Well , we will agree to disagree with how mature today's youth is. Your 1st paragraph states some pretty strong statistics. Has this been your experience? Just asking . not trying to attack your thoughts at all BUT I have seen quite the opposite over the years in almost every statement in there. Is it a majority? of course not, is it there and does every group need to deal with someone like any of those things every year? yes.

Most likely you are correct that large numbers of adults are not preying on young marching members, but there are a few things to keep in mind. A friend of mine helped develop the abuse prevention programs used by the Boy Scouts of America. His background is criminal justice and psychology. At the height of their problems, it was estimated less than 2% of adult leaders were guilty of sexual abusing minors. I know first hand from victims, families, and in some cases abusers themselves about what religious institutions  faced when dealing with these issues. The stats are slightly higher, about 3%. In any case, we are not talking about huge numbers, and I would assume the same is true with drum corps. In the end, statistics mean very little. No college would ever get away with saying “It is  likely that 98% of our athletic trainers will not abuse you” or a high school principal would never say if a teacher was accused “Well, only 3% of teachers are guilty of these crimes.” 

People don’t care about statistics in this area. They hear of one case, they want it eradicated. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Most likely you are correct that large numbers of adults are not preying on young marching members, but there are a few things to keep in mind. A friend of mine helped develop the abuse prevention programs used by the Boy Scouts of America. His background is criminal justice and psychology. At the height of their problems, it was estimated less than 2% of adult leaders were guilty of sexual abusing minors. I know first hand from victims, families, and in some cases abusers themselves about what religious institutions  faced when dealing with these issues. The stats are slightly higher, about 3%. In any case, we are not talking about huge numbers, and I would assume the same is true with drum corps. In the end, statistics mean very little. No college would ever get away with saying “It is  likely that 98% of our athletic trainers will not abuse you” or a high school principal would never say if a teacher was accused “Well, only 3% of teachers are guilty of these crimes.” 

People don’t care about statistics in this area. They hear of one case, they want it eradicated. 

of course, as I did say in other posts even once is 1 time to many. The post I was answering was also to the question as this thread started was about MMs and their parts in this and it does and has always existed.

The trouble with threads is people will not look at the entire post, what was being answered and how it all relates. Many people in discussion boards just pick a sentence in a long response and ignore the rest. Usually, when someone is making a point it is an entire thought ( not saying you ) the statement on adults was just to say that yes there may be little but the same can be said of MMs. The impression to what I was answering was that members were far less than adults in these situations and I did not believe that was true.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Your 1st paragraph states some pretty strong statistics.

At least he used paragraphs.

:wow:

The OP has an interesting and valid point.

I will tell you that the Cadets members (both corps) are going through a training session conducted by one of our board members (who's background is in HR and these sort of issues) and others related directly to this topic. The code of conduct applies to the members also.

I know a number of other corps are going through similar training sessions.

This is all "good stuff" and something that should have been done some time ago.

I'm off to Cadetland today for Spring Training for the first time in over 25 years to see the corps. I was pushed away long ago and it is time to "go home." I know I will be proud and teary eyed to see this version of the corps. I would not be the man I am today without The Cadets.

#welcomehomecadet #unityproject #marchstraightandtrue #wewillneverdie

See you down the road.

Edited by njthundrrd
  • Like 7

7 minutes ago, njthundrrd said:

The OP has an interesting and valid point.

I will tell you that the Cadets members (both corps) are going through a training session conducted by one of our board members (who's background is in HR and these sort of issues) and others related directly to this topic. The code of conduct applies to the members also.

I know a number of other corps are going through similar training sessions.

This is all "good stuff" and something that should have been done some time ago.

I'm off to Cadetland today for Spring Training for the first time in over 25 years to see the corps. I was pushed away long ago and it is time to "go home." I know I will be proud and teary eyed to see this version of the corps. I would not be the man I am today without The Cadets.

#welcomehomecadet #unityproject #marchstraightandtrue

See you down the road.

you and many others.

As the pastor of Most Holy Name of Jesus parish said to the corps at its 75th anniversary Mass:  "Welcome Home!"

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, njthundrrd said:

And at least one new policy twist:  kids under 18 can only room with other kids under 18 at Spring Training.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Eleran said:

And at least one new policy twist:  kids under 18 can only room with other kids under 18 at Spring Training.

Certainly another step in the right direction, IMO.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Eleran said:

Here we see more collateral damage from the current situation.

Where the rooming by age cohort seems prudent from the view of sexual activity and respect of others, many corps had taken to room rookie members with vets for S.T. and whenever in a dorm situation.

The practice had a way of limiting immature behavior in the dorm while rookies were molded into being polished members of the corps. Much of this occurred in informal discussions that occur mm to mm rather than formal sessions as wisdom and corps practices were passed from "generation" of marchers to the next. Corps that also grouped housing by performance sections also prosper the opportunity for positive bonding within sections; although other corps might randomize the rooming so that among 154 members, all might know each other not just the person next to you in the line.

As with much of life, there are positives from many approaches. Here corps will have to discover new methods to develop that same sense of history, ownership, and positive friendship which occur apart from the competitive performance as in bus rides, practices, and off time. Whether by gym circles, section sharing, or other methods corps today face a new challenge to grow the members as good people not just as great performers.

• Like 2