How Far Is Too Far?

If your kid can’t handle themselves out in the world then don’t send the on tour or volunteer and spend the summer with them and the corps

Drum corps isn’t for everybody, as much as we want to include all the bassoon player with severe coordination issues by taking their money and putting them on Dr Beat

1 hour ago, njthundrrd said:

I'm off to Cadetland today for Spring Training for the first time in over 25 years to see the corps. I was pushed away long ago and it is time to "go home." I know I will be proud and teary eyed to see this version of the corps. I would not be the man I am today without The Cadets.

I think you'll like the scene and the zen.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cowtown said:

If your kid can’t handle themselves out in the world then don’t send the on tour or volunteer and spend the summer with them and the corps

Drum corps isn’t for everybody, as much as we want to include all the bassoon player with severe coordination issues by taking their money and putting them on Dr Beat

thanks Mr. Sensitivity

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

thanks Mr. Sensitivity

If they can't handle real life or other people... put em on the internet.....

• Haha 4

On 5/21/2018 at 7:45 AM, BRASSO said:

DCI could make it easier on everybody if they simply had a policy that no Corps be allowed to hire a person on its staff that has had a sexual misconduct conviction. This policy, for example, right off the bat would eliminate any Parents having to be explained a potentially risky hire by any Corps in DCI. Parents can be assured of the implementation of maximum safety precautions, and would not have to concern themselves that Corps might have hired a risk hire in the sex misconduct realm they were not aware of, and never told. It eliminates bad publicity in the press such irresponsible hires generates too.

Interestingly enough, the people currently involved do not have actual Sexual Misconduct convictions (or at least not all of them do).  The line is blurred and could potentially be grounds for lawsuits should someone be "defamed".  It's an interesting time as privacy rules & regs increase, but the need for transparency also increases.  As a parent of a (younger) corps member, I would want to know sexual criminal history (or criminal history > misdemeanor) so I could arm my marching member with the information they need to have a great summer AND stay safe.  

12 minutes ago, DCIat14 said:

Interestingly enough, the people currently involved do not have actual Sexual Misconduct convictions (or at least not all of them do).  The line is blurred and could potentially be grounds for lawsuits should someone be "defamed".    

I doubt it though. Corps can terminate these people for any number of reasons, and it would stand legal muster, imo.  The biggest future  threat to DCI and DCI  Drum Corps isn't Corps being sued for wrongful termination lawsuits of a former staffer. Its victims of alleged crimes suing  DCI and/ or DCI Corps for gross negligence with hires/retentions.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, DCIat14 said:

As a parent of a (younger) corps member, I would want to know sexual criminal history (or criminal history > misdemeanor) so I could arm my marching member with the information they need to have a great summer AND stay safe.  

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but why wouldn't you arm them with that info regardless? 

Or do you mean something like, stay away from Jonny in the tuba section, he’s trouble?

I really don’t get what’s going on in this thread

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cowtown said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but why wouldn't you arm them with that info regardless? 

Or do you mean something like, stay away from Jonny in the tuba section, he’s trouble?

I really don’t get what’s going on in this thread

Confused too as think everyone connected with a corps would not have a record in this regard. At least I would hope the corps and dci would not allow them to be hired. 

And yeah would fall under general protection info otherwise.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

3 hours ago, cowtown said:

Hey!  Those double reed instruments are very difficult to play. It's no wonder he has coordination issues.