How Far Is Too Far?

4 hours ago, Eleran said:

And then there is the inevitable member who turns 18 DURING Spring Training - messing everything up!!!

oh just what you need:  another moving-up ceremony complete with faux graduation cap and gown.

Do the new but old roomies hold a NHL style draft or is it that the former roomies bolted the door?

2 minutes ago, xandandl said:

oh just what you need:  another moving-up ceremony complete with faux graduation cap and gown.

Do the new but old roomies hold a NHL style draft or is it that the former roomies bolted the door?

I just know he has one set of roomies for Johnstown, and a different set for Ada.   

5 hours ago, Eleran said:

And at least one new policy twist:  kids under 18 can only room with other kids under 18 at Spring Training.

I know of at least one corps that divides bus seats like that - the under 18's, regardless of section, are on a separate bus.  On one hand, it does diminish the section camaraderie.  On the other hand, it's much, much more prudent from a risk management perspective.

Mike

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, MikeN said:

I know of at least one corps that divides bus seats like that - the under 18's, regardless of section, are on a separate bus.  On one hand, it does diminish the section camaraderie.  On the other hand, it's much, much more prudent from a risk management perspective.

Mike

Way back a 1000 years ago when I was VERY underage ( although corps were younger ) the few of us couldn't even ride a bus with the rest of the corps. Although we may have been in a so-called safer place to be and we didn't see the things the so-called older kids were doing, there was a sense of division where we were expected to work as hard, maybe more, learn the history, etc etc. but left out of some of the fun as well as not feeling a total part because of the separation.

I personally don't think some archaic means works today but do think education for all might, as well as consequences for actions. If one is old enough to do a long tour in a drum corps they must be educated in ALL aspects of what is acceptable, what is tolerated, what is off limits, and what consequences are no matter the age. This also goes for staff, volunteers, management, support staff, etc etc.

Edited by GUARDLING

2 hours ago, xandandl said:

can't have hazing now you know 

55 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Way back a 1000 years ago when I was VERY underage ( although corps were younger ) the few of us couldn't even ride a bus with the rest of the corps. Although we may have been in a so-called safer place to be and we didn't see the things the so-called older kids were doing, there was a sense of division where we were expected to work as hard, maybe more, learn the history, etc etc. but left out of some of the fun as well as not feeling a total part because of the separation.

I personally don't think some archaic means works today but do think education for all might, as well as consequences for actions. If one is old enough to do a long tour in a drum corps they must be educated in ALL aspects of what is acceptable, what is tolerated, what is off limits, and what consequences are no matter the age. This also goes for staff, volunteers, management, support staff, etc etc.

they had buses back then dude?:laughing:

• Haha 1

I think all the member need to disclose all their medical histories with each other, as well as job histories, financial credit checks and statements of belief. Imagine marching next to someone on psych drugs or that has one of those alphabet soup things like AADDHAAD. I’d want to know what they were taking for it and all the common side effects. And if I were in the tuba section where they push a lot of air, no way would I want to be near a carnivore with all that meat breath and gassiness – won’t anyone think of the children ???

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

yeah ...sorta they were more like death traps...lol...we youngins were in a covered wagon

sorry, couldnt help myself LOL