How Far Is Too Far?

3 hours ago, BigW said:

They used riverboats and toured the rivers for tour then. If they couldn't afford the riverboats, they used barges towed by mules. Least that's what Benny and Pete told Jim and I BITD.

If the mules cost too much, they used corps members to tow the barges.    :whip:     

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, BigW said:

My guess is that crappy bus was still in better shape than the legendary Crossmen "Boy's Bus" in period. :biggrin:

Was that the Hindenburg? They were at Carlisle ca 1978 and front of one bus was coated with black. My thought as my dad is an auto mechanic was that’s bus 2 and bus 1 is throwing a crap load of oil

Edited by JimF-LowBari

36 minutes ago, MikeD said:

If the mules cost too much, they used corps members to tow the barges.    :whip:     

And they LIKED it, dadgummit!!!  :laughing:

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

If the mules cost too o much, they used corps members to tow the barges.    :whip:     

There were several occasions when the Cadets "ferried" the corps to appearances. The 1986 concerts at Governor's Island, NYC and the next day at Liberty Island had the full corps on the boats at 5 am each day. A few times when DCI wrote the schedule that the corps had to go from Toledo to Minnesota or Madison, more than prattle discussion had the corps taking the B&O steamer ship from Ludington, Michigan to Wisconsin in order to save the bus drivers time behind the wheel.  The one time the corps was ready to do it, the ship was running 4 hours late and not worth the wait. But I did it several times in the advance vehicle to get across/around Lake Michigan and Chicago traffic. 

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Was that the Hindenburg? They were at Carlisle ca 1978 and front of one bus was coated with black. My thought as my dad is an auto mechanic was that’s bus 2 and bus 1 is throwing a crap load of oil

Yes, that was the one that blew in the desert and was abandoned.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, BigW said:

Yes, that was the one that blew in the desert and was abandoned.

Thanks never realized what happened. Maybe will see it in the Antique Automobile Club of America magazine in the future in one of the “look what’s out there” columns