In The News – Troopers Return To Wyoming Tuesday

As if foretelling its 2018 show, “The New Road West,” the Troopers Drum & Bugle Corps return to Wyoming on Tuesday for preseason, all-day rehearsals. For nearly a decade, because of an agreement with Drum Corps International, the Casper-based corps has trained in Indiana and performed in pre-Indy 500 parades and festivities there prior to […]

View the full article

I didn’t realize Troopers had been doing so much of their training in Indiana. The article made it sound like they only have 2 MMs that are actually from Wyoming, is that right? And as of the article publication on Saturday, they had no volunteers for the food truck for move-ins this week? I hope they can fill up the schedule and have a solid spring training experience and a great season!

I think it's really important for corps to keep strong ties with their surrounding communities.  The activity can be seen as destructive and too out of touch with the general public.  Keeping things local is a great way to keep clean reputations and the more philanthropic side of the activity alive!

I hope Troop can make something work to stay more often in Wyoming!

• Like 1

Maybe each corps should get alumni to set up an endowment for a permanent sponsorship of some number of slots for members from the corps' home state (or county or city or region or whatever feels right), thus encouraging local ties.

• Like 1

Sure the corps might not get the very best national talent in a few slots, but even in the world of professional arts, we require our artists to make some compromises for reasons of finance or mission. The theater where I work will sometimes tell a play's director that some percentage of the cast must be hired locally and not from New York.

16 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Maybe each corps should get alumni to set up an endowment for a permanent sponsorship of some number of slots for members from the corps' home state (or county or city or region or whatever feels right), thus encouraging local ties.

16 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Sure the corps might not get the very best national talent in a few slots, but even in the world of professional arts, we require our artists to make some compromises for reasons of finance or mission. The theater where I work will sometimes tell a play's director that some percentage of the cast must be hired locally and not from New York.

I just saw this Facebook video on the Vanguard Cadets' renewed focus on bringing in members from California. Based on the points you bring up above, I thought you might want to see this for yourself:

• Like 1