Old Recordings

If one wanted to get recordings from the 1970's and 1980's, who can we contact? I know there are some available through DCW but I also know of some out there that Ken Kobold recorded. I had some years ago but the tapes are no good any more. Help?

I spoke by email with two people several years ago. It would take me a while to go through my emails to come up with the names, but one of them is the fellow who worked on the Legacy project. Ken Kobold's recordings are in the hands of DCI. I used to order my tapes from Ken directly because I could get the order of play I wanted and I could get corps beyond the top 25. Sound quality was not the issue, though tweaking was necessary for digital media and that is time consuming. The fellow who produced the Legacy recordings (CD compilations of various tunes from various corps on themes) spent a few years working on them. The issue is royalties. Ken recorded everyone at the U.S Open, DCI prelims and finals and a few other shows. There's  a lot of music to clear. So while it may seem like an easy thing to get the recording of the Boondock Renegades from 1973 U.S. Open, imagine even ten percent of each corps membership wanting a recording of their show from every year they were recorded, that would be quite the headache. It's time and money. When I strike it rich, getting this done is on my list. Root for me.

• Like 1

check ebay. lotsa stuff there

On 5/28/2018 at 8:55 PM, IllianaLancerContra said:

I actually have the record albums (plus 1980 State of the Art) from a few years in the closet.  No turntable to play them on however...

I bought a turntable a few years ago that copies record albums and cassette tapes to CD. I found a local vendor that does the same plus copies VHS to DVD. I snail mailed copies to various people across North America with the provision that this is a gift for their personal enjoyment. 1980 State of the Art and SCV's Through the Years are 2 of my favourite CD's. Cool you too.

• Like 2