Your favorite All-Time DCI Year

25 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Some of they key people of 1980 felt the show was not what DCI East had been though not George Zingali. If you remember the broadcast, he was about ready to explode. I also recall reading in the historic thread some Blue Devils felt their show was off, and like you thought it would go to Bridgemmen. When I saw 27th early in 1981, I was certain they would win the title, but there was a great deal of turmoil that would happen down the road and the season ended up being erratic. Also SCV and Madison were in stronger form.

However, like a true Bostonian, I always root for the home team. I will not deny that I can be a bit biased towards Boston Crusaders and I’ll always miss 27th and North Star. I also knew people who marched in each corps. Probably the reason I’m still alive today is I never said which I liked best.

:thumbup: :thumbup::thumbup:

27 minutes ago, Tim K said:

However, like a true Bostonian, I always root for the home team. I will not deny that I can be a bit biased towards Boston Crusaders and I’ll always miss 27th and North Star. I also knew people who marched in each corps. Probably the reason I’m still alive today is I never said which I liked best.

We were there for what might have been North Star's finest hour... the night they won the CYO Nationals in 1979. We took a road trip up from the NY metro area to catch the show. (In the days when we would think nothing of hopping in a car and driving five hours to see drum corps. LOL)

Great performance from them that night!!!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, the hammer said:

1978 - The first year I understood what I was watching and SCV won their 3rd title in Denver.

1980 - My favorite year of the top 12, top to bottom. I was in A-town at DCI East when 27th beat BD. I thought it would carry through to Finals. Not to be. BD was awesome in B-ham. What a year though. 27th and Bridgemen represented the East well, Spirit's horn and drumline, Madison's closer, SCV's Stone Ground Seven and drill, Crossmen, Cavies' step over company front, North Star's last year in Finals and Blue Stars first year out. Hard to believe that is 38 years ago.

What was cool about 1978 was the meteoric rise of SCV after being fourth in Whitewater.  That was an amazing win for them in Denver.   It was an honor to be on the same field as them. 

• Like 2

Sorry 1989 wins this!

• Like 1

1992 -- It was my first exposure of the activity, watching the finals top 12 Dci shows on VHS. I fell inlove with BD and been , 2ndly Cavies and 3rdly Cadets. I wasn't into Star at the time, it's in the 2008 to 2010 I actually start paying attention to what was Star of Indiana. And really enjoyed SCV.

2008 overal loved every show

2014 Bd feliniesque the best overall show desgn that apeases to the fans, Bc tilt was just so good and inovative...

2016 -- Its obvious BC first win ever I was very happy for them, enjoyed the show too.... Another year where I enjoyed every show.

And Yes last year 2017 I enjoyed, California year Bd was so mesmerizing and Scv was really aswesome and back in top two for in such a longtime. It was a year either liked, loved or, despised (lol) for some many different reasons from different corps based on show design choices and drastic uniforms changes. Manderings was on the hunt to making top 12 while Madison actually fought to be back in the top 12, while Cavies overtake the defendant champion on the final night. 

Those were the years for me.

6 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Coincidentally, there's a wink to the camera in the 1989 Finals video as well. Does anybody remember which corps?

I'm going off memory but either VK or BD winked. I'm leaning towards BD. 

As for my favorite year, 1989 hands down. I remember watching Phantom Regiment and just sitting there speechless. VK and Bluecoats were fun. The top 5 was phenomenal. I have tried so hard to appreciate SCV's win and I wouldn't even put them in the top 3. If I was to rank 1989:

1. Phantom Regiment

2. Garfield Cadets

3. Cavaliers

4. Santa Clara Vanguard

5. Blue Devils

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

It is definitely going to be 2018.   I can guarantee that.   

OH! So Crowns show last year was about 2018! I GET IT NOW! 

Sorry, last joke on that, I swear. I still catch myself reading something and putting emphasis on It Is. Lol.