2018 Tour Premiere

Long thoughts here:

Blue Stars: I HATED their boots!  The yellow clashed against their pants and it made it so easy to notice foot timing, direction changes, and visual errors.  "Tick shoes", as we called them when I marched...  There was a brass member who fell at one point, somewhat understandable at the start of the season, but crazy to see from a top contender....

Final thought: Good show, fun theme... overall, I think they might fall prey to Mandarins, Academy, or Colts... but still a phenomenal show!

Phantom: HOLY TENOR FEATURE!  I was literally like, "SIX TENORS, WAIT NINE TENORS!  HOLY SH!T! TWELVE TENORS!".... That moment alone will keep them in finals!... however, I HATED their closer.  All brass standing still on the sideline within the 35's??? there's no demand there and it upsets me.

Final Thought: I think they'll easily stay top 12, but they were noticeably young, and Phantom continues to be over-designed.

Boston: I eye rolled really hard when they brought back the fire...  The other props were really cool.  They had an amazing drum feature, beyond what I expected from their battery...  I loved their design from the "lost" to "found" on the field during the show...  I DIDN'T like their uniforms, for some reason the nyon green bothered me.  Also, there was a pit member who's bikini top was showing out of her uniform and kept distracting me during pit features...

Final thought: LOVE IT!  Will it make top 5?  We'll see... but I think this is my favorite BAC design since Animal Farm! (yes, I loved animal farm...)

Cavies: The first corps who's uniforms didn't annoy me!... Overall an amazing show.  I much prefer their design from 2016, but this corps seems to be much stronger than years past.  Quite possibly top 5, or even a medal contender if they push hard enough.

Final thought:  They have the talent to medal, let's see if they get there.

Bloo: They had a fake opening hit!!!  They totally got me!... I loved the design of the guard playing with the mics.  I hope those vocals were live, if not, I can't honestly support the concept... 

Final thought:  I didn't think they deserved to win tonight, but they area  SOLID drum corps!.. and the CG member called the corps a 'band' during his interview... *sigh

Crown:  Amazing color guard!!!  The all female brass feature was really cool!  Overall, the design was the best in my opinion... also, they tilted the camera with the stage as it rocked, which was really cool.

Final thought:  I love every second of it except the ending.  No one in the theater even clapped because we didnt' think it was done... way too drum heavy and not enough brass impact... I think Crown will metal this season!

OVERALL: I thought Crown deserved to win the night, but it's crazy how close the top three were!!!  It was a great night for drum corps.

• Like 1

I find the gap Saucedo placed in GE2 between Boston and Cavies very interesting. I was shocked at the overall gap between them and Boston, and his scoring alone created about a quarter of said gap. 

Edited by Huntington Mallets

6 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

2018 Crown is like 2015 Crown. No one will like it now, but by finals everyone will love it.

I don't get a '15 vibe at all, and people were saying this last year as well. We all know how that turned out.

I'm getting more of a '14 vibe, tbh.

There are some moments I like this year, and there will probably be more come August. Not sure if I'll ever fall in love with Blow it up again though, as I'm not crazy about the drum corps-ized version of it -- perhaps I've just heard the piece too many times.

15 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

Bloo, Cavaliers and BAC were my favorites. If I never see the others again this season I won’t feel like I missed anything. 

I remember when people were criticizing Cadets because their stained glass windows were never integrated into the show. I seen a lot of bones doing a lot of nothing but taking up a lot of space. 

It was pretty clear that the people who attended the theater liked Cavies and Bloo, however they were very disappointed with two corps from Illinois and Wisconsin. One guy said out loud after one corps performance; “go home and practice”. 

You must have missed the neon trees that didn't do anything except shrink the field kind of like the bones. Or they did their job by framing the field to be smaller and closer. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m sure this won’t go over well but I don’t know how PR beat Blue Stars.  I thought PR was a mess.  Prop movement and set up was really bad.  The guard costumes blended into the field.  I guess I just don’t know #### about this stuff anymore. 

I thought the same about Phantom....it seemed like the props and guard appear to be an afterthought.  The brass lacks that lustrous full Phantom sound that has made me listen endlessly to just their show music from several of those years.  I feel they are in an awkward “how do we do this phase”.  The visual just was not good. I am hoping they can crank things up though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BlueStainGlass said:

You must have missed the neon trees that didn't do anything except shrink the field kind of like the bones. Or they did their job by framing the field to be smaller and closer. 

I didn’t miss that either. Believe that will be the closest Crown gets to Bloo. I would drop them like its hot. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

I was told there would be recaps...

https://recaps.competitionsuite.com/618bd260-2740-4d64-b16e-73446c6a8a4b.htm

• Thanks 1

So much Crown hate, I love it!

I normally LOVE the Bluecoats, but I absolutely can’t get into this show on first viewing. The colors, the program, none of it grabbed me at all. Wife felt the same way. Extremely disappointed but hoping it grows on me.

As for overall feelings, last season I walked away from the preview show really excited about the upcoming season. Tonight, I’m questioning if I event want to drop the cash on going to the shows. 

• Like 3