2018 Tour Premiere

8 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

So much Crown hate, I love it!

I normally LOVE the Bluecoats, but I absolutely can’t get into this show on first viewing. The colors, the program, none of it grabbed me at all. Wife felt the same way. Extremely disappointed but hoping it grows on me.

As for overall feelings, last season I walked away from the preview show really excited about the upcoming season. Tonight, I’m questioning if I event want to drop the cash on going to the shows. 

I agree. I feel as though this is what turning into a dinosaur is. Every show seems like it is dancing horn runs with percussion fills in between while trust falls are going on. Every show designer seemed to mention "We really want to explore the human nature" or "human emotions" or some esoteric crap. 

Go out there and play some thing loud I can at least hum after I hear it. I feel like drum corps as I knew it was gone after about 2010.

Edited by Huntington Mallets

1 minute ago, Newseditor44 said:

I really don’t start paying any attention to this stuff until San Antonio. That’s where the fun begins.

I get that... I don't put much stock into it, it's just fun!  :)

I don't get the Crown hate but I'm not spending this season defending them like I have in the past. Some people just aren't going to like Crown no matter what they do and that's ok. Hopefully the commentary doesn't get as obnoxious as it did last year but either way I'm enjoying this season.

• Like 2

No time to right up proper comments; plus, based on DeLucia's and Rondinaro's reactions to what they saw live, I strongly suspect the broadcast was pretty misleading, so my remarks would be suspect anyway. I have a suggestion for DCI: every corps who is scheduled to perform in the premiere must make a high-camera videorecording of a full run of their show (or as much of it is then done) at least three days earlier and provide it, via some secure means, to Tom Blair so that he has an idea in advance of where to point the cameras.

One other thing I'd note about my personal experience tonight: I didn't buy a ticket in advance, and when I got to the cinema, the show was listed as sold out, which shocked me for June (the first time I'd ever encountered that for a DCI cinema showing, which I've attended most years going back to 2004, was last August), but I went to the ticket window anyway and was sold a handicap-companion seat with the caveat that I'd have to leave it if someone showed up. In the auditorium, I found that someone else was already in that seat, but the entire front row was empty, and apart from myself, remained that way throughout. But the reason for the sell-out is that it was a very small capacity house with far fewer seats than any showing I'd previously attended. One nice thing: they were those new-fangled adjustable seats with the leg rests and all, something I've not experienced before.

Overall I was underwhelmed (although my mood may be affected by having been to the vet to have one of my cats put to sleep an hour earlier), but will probably grow to like most of these shows with time. I'd seen none of them in advance except for video of the last minute of Crown's show a couple days ago. My favorite was Boston, my suspicion based on the announcers' comments was that Bloo would win, and if I were all the judges, the ranking would have been:

1. Carolina Crown

2. Boston Crusaders

3. Bluecoats

4. Cavaliers

5. Blue Stars

6. Phantom Regiment

Best wishes to them all!

• Like 2

Just now, goodmello said:

I get that... I don't put much stock into it, it's just fun!  :)

I've never believed in that. If that were the case, why bother putting up recaps anyway?

1 minute ago, Jim Schehr said:

It’s not Crown hate. With the exception of a few productions I’ve seen, Crown has been incredible. But I’m not digging this show. There’s really a lot that doesn’t measure up to their productions over previous years. Hey it happens. 

I meant hate sarcastically. It’s all good, part of the fun on DCP is trying to understand other people’s interpretations of shows. I’m still having a rough time with the Bluecoats and I don’t know why. Normally I love them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I take it Crown’s prop are claws of the beast? They reminded me of the dough hook attachment for my KitchenAid mixer. Can’t get that image out of my mind now.

The sound in the theater was very one dimensional. The manager told me they could only work with what the what they were given outside of being able to adjust volume. Anyone else experience that?