2018 Tour Premiere

1 minute ago, Newseditor44 said:

The sound in our theater was horrible as well and the video was out of focus much of the night. 

My theater had amazing sound, really no complaints.  Sorry to hear yours was less enjoyable. 

2 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

Here’s something you don’t hear all that often - Crown won Drums. 

I get to hear it up close Monday. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Newseditor44 said:

Crown’s hornline is #### good, but, they’re young. I don’t see them winning an Ott this year, but they’ll make it interesting.

Agree! I was underwhelmed. Expectations are high but I’m not sure they will deliver. 

• Confused 1

Big crowd in Farmingdale NY. I thought Crown would edge out Bloo. First half of Cavaliers was great but second half needs work. Boston will be in contention all year.

Next year DCI should do away with showing highlight clips from the previous year and end the pre-show interviews BEFORE the the performance begins. Stop talking over the corps!

11 minutes ago, goodmello said:

Long thoughts here:

Blue Stars: I HATED their boots!  The yellow clashed against their pants and it made it so easy to notice foot timing, direction changes, and visual errors.  "Tick shoes", as we called them when I marched...  There was a brass member who fell at one point, somewhat understandable at the start of the season, but crazy to see from a top contender....

Final thought: Good show, fun theme... overall, I think they might fall prey to Mandarins, Academy, or Colts... but still a phenomenal show!

I agree - I am disappointed with this show - they have the talent but the design does not live up to what they could do if they could find a show concept - 

Phantom: HOLY TENOR FEATURE!  I was literally like, "SIX TENORS, WAIT NINE TENORS!  HOLY SH!T! TWELVE TENORS!".... That moment alone will keep them in finals!... however, I HATED their closer.  All brass standing still on the sideline within the 35's??? there's no demand there and it upsets me.

Final Thought: I think they'll easily stay top 12, but they were noticeably young, and Phantom continues to be over-designed.

some nice moments - reminded me of PR trying to do a Bluecoats show

Boston: I eye rolled really hard when they brought back the fire...  The other props were really cool.  They had an amazing drum feature, beyond what I expected from their battery...  I loved their design from the "lost" to "found" on the field during the show...  I DIDN'T like their uniforms, for some reason the nyon green bothered me.  Also, there was a pit member who's bikini top was showing out of her uniform and kept distracting me during pit features...

Final thought: LOVE IT!  Will it make top 5?  We'll see... but I think this is my favorite BAC design since Animal Farm! (yes, I loved animal farm...)

agree - the fire effect could be used for maybe a bit -- but we don't need it for half the show - good hornline and drumline - the costumes are so stupid - not selling that you are shipwreck survivors -

would need to really grow to crack top 5

singer was live -- needs to be sampled and lip synched.

Cavies: The first corps who's uniforms didn't annoy me!... Overall an amazing show.  I much prefer their design from 2016, but this corps seems to be much stronger than years past.  Quite possibly top 5, or even a medal contender if they push hard enough.

Final thought:  They have the talent to medal, let's see if they get there.

agree - great show this show will build and grow over the season - look out BD

Bloo: They had a fake opening hit!!!  They totally got me!... I loved the design of the guard playing with the mics.  I hope those vocals were live, if not, I can't honestly support the concept... 

Final thought:  I didn't think they deserved to win tonight, but they area  SOLID drum corps!.. and the CG member called the corps a 'band' during his interview... *sigh

loved the fake opening hit - the guard was kind of dumb, singer was good but...

horns and drums very solid - 

it was the guard capi from Cavies who referred to his corps as a band

Crown:  Amazing color guard!!!  The all female brass feature was really cool!  Overall, the design was the best in my opinion... also, they tilted the camera with the stage as it rocked, which was really cool.

Final thought:  I love every second of it except the ending.  No one in the theater even clapped because we didnt' think it was done... way too drum heavy and not enough brass impact... I think Crown will metal this season!

My fav show of the night - I agree - I liked the brass feature with the crazy wild hair! Show and the teter toter is going to get a lot better --- so nice to see Crown with excellent perc this year -- I agree top 3

OVERALL: I thought Crown deserved to win the night, but it's crazy how close the top three were!!!  It was a great night for drum corps.

agree - Bluecoats have learned how to design circle within circle like Devils -- not too much demand and technical excellence - Bluecoats are going to need to up their visual game though - guard is not a good dancing guard - they are better with equipment -

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Someone please tell me the song the Cavs sang in their closer. I’m dying here.

Mike

• Like 1

Let’s get the bad out of the way first:  That was the most horrific production DCI has ever aired.   

Talking over the corps was rude and unprofessional but the camera work looked like it was directed by Stevie Wonder.  Why are the cameras aimed at a baritone during a trumpet solo?   There were lots of cool ensemble visuals going on but you would never know it because Stevie had the camera in someone’s face in the pit.  

With that being said, movie theater sound systems punch out too much bass and not enough treble.  It sounded like every brass arrangement was made my Meghan Trainor because everyone knows she’s “all about that bass.”  It will sound better when I hear it live next week.

Now for the good:  Every corps was in performance mode and brought lots of energy.  These rankings will change and flip flop all season; the scores were too close to see any trends.

Oh yes, vocals:  No bueno y no mas!

Edited by ThirdValvesAreForWimps
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2