2018 Tour Premiere

1 hour ago, Sideways said:

Saw a couple videos online so far....

Bluecoats - This is going to take a lot of viewings but already an improvement  over last year without that boat anchor of a ballad.  Such much cool stuff going and still won while getting spanked in percussion.   Off night?

Phantom -  Sounds like part Texas BOA band wanting to be a drum corps and part real drum corps.  Flow of the show improves as it goes on.  Single biggest take from this video....you need someone who can clean drill.  I know its first show out but that is a glaring difference between them and the next tier up.

Crown - Wow on the opening statement but energy never quite gets back to that level.  Way more utilization and integration of percussion than the past few years.  As quirky and weird as their 2017 show was the music grabbed my attention and forced me to pay attention.  I will need to listen to some of the source material but as of now this has the feel of an expected and generic Crown show.  Great brass and percussion but so far nothing remarkable or unremarkable....

Found Cavies and Boston

Boston - Guard and Percussion are driving this vehicle now.  Brass is a step up in maturity but not as much as I would have expected with all the hype.  Overall design is moving in the right direction but still not there with the big boys.  I won't say sophomore slump after only the first viewing especially since the guard and percussion sections alone should keep them moving in the right direction...but everyone else above them seems to be much improved from 2017 so far...

Cavies - These boys are in it to win in this year.  Oh What a World is a gas and cannot wait to see how it is developed and layered.  Best design in years and all captions are solid...

Additional comments on Bluecoats...that's they way to do a vocal soloist and not get in the way!  After a second viewing this show needs to "feel" more like a jam session and not a corp show to really take off.  As Jeff Ream said...he can give ideas to make a PG13 or R....this show needs to get dirty.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sideways said:

Additional comments on Bluecoats...that's they way to do a vocal soloist and not get in the way!  After a second viewing this show needs to "feel" more like a jam session and not a corp show to really take off.  As Jeff Ream said...he can give ideas to make a PG13 or R....this show needs to get dirty.

Definitely the direction to go.  This show is FRESH!  Nothing like sultry jazz on a hot summer night.

Imitation is a sincere form of Flattery. Better layer your own BLOO into this show or the BLUE comparisons will be the topic of '18.

Inspiration perhaps...

btw the show is a contender in my eyes, I just see and, hear too much BLUE...

Edited by whitedj2002
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, whitedj2002 said:

Imitation is a sincere form of Flattery. Better layer your own BLOO into this show or the BLUE comparisons will be the topic of '18. 

I didn't get a BD vibe from this show.  BD tends to have a more Las Vegas like polish.  Bloo has a more deep south jazz club feel.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

Ah, Grasshopper -- In Drum Corps, as in all Life, you must master patience. All will be revealed in its own time and place if you are worthy to accept such gift of enlightenment.

:-)

So you know about the same as me? I’m just trying to understand the basics. 

3 hours ago, mingusmonk said:

Honestly never saw the need for the pay version of DrumScorps (a fantastic app, BTW!) but any form of the recaps would be better than what DCI is doing with the formatting. :62_dizzy_face: Reconsidering. :35_thinking:

The DCI website gives me a migraine and we almost missed getting tickets for the Midwestern regional because the schedule on there is like a Chinese fire drill. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

She could very well be talking about the music itself... If she is not a fan of that gritty, bluesy, swaggering jazz style (which is absolutely the Blue Devils, through and through).  The Bluecoats have always done a little bit of that, but most of their more successful shows have hinged on fairly happy, uplifting type grooves.  This style is a bit more on the nose with respect to its deep digging grit.  Her criticism may not have been merely about the visuals... etc.

I (like you) loved it... and am happy to see them (if not just anyone) putting more of that style on the field.  It's loads of fun to me and you, but maybe not for this lady... especially if she doesn't like the Blue Devils (that would be a shame) to begin with.

I can tell you. The ballad sounded not so  good with the trio at IWU(it sounded out of tune and I had recurring thots of 2017),  the theater sound was awful. Believe it was redeemed by the YouTube video I saw today-I loved it but want more.  Still not liking the staging of part of the guard behind the prop set up towards the end of the show.

Edited by Forevergreen

I just watched Blue Stars from last night on YT. I can’t see how Phantom will stay ahead of them. Much more coherent show and guard is staged better. The hornline sounds so much stronger than Phantom. 

It’s just right now BS are much much much dirtier than the others above them. esp some drill transistions and the guard towards the end. 

1 minute ago, DCI-86 said:

I just watched Blue Stars from last night on YT. I can’t see how Phantom will stay ahead of them. Much more coherent show and guard is staged better. The hornline sounds so much stronger than Phantom. 

It’s just right now BS are much much much dirtier than the others above them. esp some drill transistions and the guard towards the end. 

I know people have been debating on sound from theatres. In person stars volume/power were up there with cavies, bloo, and Crown. Phantom was by far the weakest but balance wasnt bad.