2018 Tour Premiere

55 minutes ago, Sideways said:

Found Cavies and Boston

Boston - Guard and Percussion are driving this vehicle now.  Brass is a step up in maturity but not as much as I would have expected with all the hype.  Overall design is moving in the right direction but still not there with the big boys.  I won't say sophomore slump after only the first viewing especially since the guard and percussion sections alone should keep them moving in the right direction...but everyone else above them seems to be much improved from 2017 so far...

Cavies - These boys are in it to win in this year.  Oh What a World is a gas and cannot wait to see how it is developed and layered.  Best design in years and all captions are solid...

Additional comments on Bluecoats...that's they way to do a vocal soloist and not get in the way!  After a second viewing this show needs to "feel" more like a jam session and not a corp show to really take off.  As Jeff Ream said...he can give ideas to make a PG13 or R....this show needs to get dirty.

Where did you find video? Could you PM a desperate parent? :-) 

Sound at the DC theater seemed fine to me. We had a slight hiccup in the feed midway through BAC but otherwise the stream was fine.  Having the idiots interviewing the show designers while the show started annoyed me several times though.  If I was the show designer and they asked a question at that point I'd say, "Shush. Just watch." 

Our theater had 112 seats capacity according to the sign going in.  There were probably only about 25/30 there though. While I didn't take the time to talk with anyone, one of the delights was having a row of people in probably their late 60's/early 70's come in right before the start to watch.  I don't think I saw any "band kids" at all really, lots of apparent alums from various eras there though. I suspect the band kids hit the suburban theaters as that's where the area schools that can afford music marching programs are.

Phantom did seem to be holding back a bit. Based on what we were hearing in some of the videos and Concert in the Park, I suspect Phantom was throttling back to work on blend and will let it loose as the season goes on.

52 minutes ago, whitedj2002 said:

Imitation is a sincere form of Flattery. Better layer your own BLOO into this show or the BLUE comparisons will be the topic of '18.

Inspiration perhaps...

btw the show is a contender in my eyes, I just see and, hear too much BLUE...

Thank you, that's all I kept thinking last night.  

15 hours ago, Huntington Mallets said:

I find the gap Saucedo placed in GE2 between Boston and Cavies very interesting.

I disagreed with that - thought they should have been much closer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jpaul said:

I disagreed with that - thought they should have been much closer.

Um, maybe -- but what I saw last night from The Cavaliers was a dirty performance of a very exciting program.  It's not even close to being clean -- but it will be.  This represents a welcome change in strategy.  In previous seasons The Cavaliers came out clean and added excitement as the season progressed.  Honestly, that's not a good way to go because the corps is always in "catch up" mode.  What I saw and heard -- finally -- was something raw, energetic, and exciting yet not clean -- or complete.  The upside to The Cavaliers' show is YUGE!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MikeN said:

Someone please tell me the song the Cavs sang in their closer. I’m dying here.

Mike

Oh, What a World

• Like 2

Just now, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

Um, maybe -- but what I saw last night from The Cavaliers was a dirty performance of a very exciting program.  It's not even close to being clean -- but it will be.  This represents a welcome change in strategy.  In previous seasons The Cavaliers came out clean and added excitement as the season progressed.  Honestly, that's not a good way to go because the corps is always in "catch up" mode.  What I saw and heard -- finally -- was something raw, energetic, and exciting yet not clean -- or complete.  The upside to The Cavaliers' show is YUGE!

The difference to the show last night and the premiere show in Indy last year was night and day for all the reasons you cite. The hornline came out blowing. Was it dirtier than last year's opening? Yes it was...was it better than last years? Yes it was. This show has major upside to it! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

The difference to the show last night and the premiere show in Indy last year was night and day for all the reasons you cite. The hornline came out blowing. Was it dirtier than last year's opening? Yes it was...was it better than last years? Yes it was. This show has major upside to it! 

Agreed. Feel that the show was dirtier last night than both ‘16 n ‘17. But also felt it is the most difficult as well as having the most promise. Can see layers being added as season progresses where the last few years the shows were pretty straight forward from start of season.

1 minute ago, GREENBLUE said:

Agreed. Feel that the show was dirtier last night than both ‘16 n ‘17. But also felt it is the most difficult as well as having the most promise. Can see layers being added as season progresses where the last few years the shows were pretty straight forward from start of season.

There's way more to come with this show. Way more! :-) 

• Like 1