Madison Scouts survey: all male v.s. Co ed

Madison Scouts survey  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Madison Scouts remain all male or go Co ed?

• Remain all male
    • Go Co ed

3 minutes ago, skevinp said:

What was the compelling reason before, and what happened to it?

Or did you really just mean they now have a reason not to limit...?

I’m not sure I’ve ever heard a young woman say she wanted to be a Madison Scout or a Cavalier for that matter, though I’m sure there are many but our paths have not crossed. While the “compelling” issue may be justice or equality, most likely it’s recruitment. In the case of Madison, this would be a huge culture shift with very strong feelings from alums and fans, so if they are going to make a change, it has to  go as smoothly as possible, which could mean taking time.

Overdue for

18 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I’m not sure I’ve ever heard a young woman say she wanted to be a Madison Scout or a Cavalier for that matter, though I’m sure there are many but our paths have not crossed. While the “compelling” issue may be justice or equality, most likely it’s recruitment. In the case of Madison, this would be a huge culture shift with very strong feelings from alums and fans, so if they are going to make a change, it has to  go as smoothly as possible, which could mean taking time.

I've seen quite a few posts online over the past few years from young women saying they wish they could join! It's well overdue. Make the change next season Madison and hopefully the Cavaliers follow your leadership!

Madison Scouts are all "Boy Scouts" (I believe I read it's a special category they all join if not already a Scout). But the " Boy Scouts" are now just the "Scouts" and i believe no longer all male. Therefore I wonder if Madison retains the "Scout" affiliation if they'll have a choice, especially  if or more likely when the issue comes up.

There's a part of me that likes the all male traditions of Madison and Cavaliers. But there's a part of me that says it's time to move on and be coed. Very mixed feelings.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, shawn craig said:

Madison Scouts are all "Boy Scouts" (I believe I read it's a special category they all join if not already a Scout). 

They actually dropped that requirement several years ago if I’m not mistaken.

24 minutes ago, crownisking said:

They actually dropped that requirement several years ago if I’m not mistaken.

Thanks for clarifying.

Nothing wrong with tradition.  Keep all male.

Well, Boy Scouts of America also have a coed senior division called Venture Crews. If Madison goes coed, they could call themselves the Ventures! Oh, wait ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

IMO - They should all be co-ed

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rmurrey74 said:

Overdue for

I've seen quite a few posts online over the past few years from young women saying they wish they could join! It's well overdue. Make the change next season Madison and hopefully the Cavaliers follow your leadership!

I too have too have seen online posts, but I’m basing it on actual conversations. While I enjoy talking drum corps online, most conversations I have with high school and college kids about drum corps would be in the stands after OC kids have competed and they sit in the stands to watch WC and most of those kids march with 7th Regiment or Spartans and if they move to WC tend to mentin Cadets, BAC, or Crown as possibilities with a few Bluecoats in the mix. These are also the corps that appear in our area in the early season. When Madison comes to Boston, it is usually later in the season. Perhaps if these same kids were competing, I’d hear more about wanting to join Madison from young women.

Regarding Cavies going coed. I think whichever corps goes coed first, the other will hold out longer. Being the last surviving all-male corps would give them a new unique status.

• Like 1

I'm ambivalent. 

I don't buy the "widening the talent pool for a competitive advantage" argument. Madison's struggles pretty much all derive from financial issues, which has an effect on staffing and show design. Opening up membership won't automatically make them better.

If they're going to allow female members, they're going to do it for educational/ethical reasons ... which I'd be cool with.

That being said: I don't believe that a performing arts organization that's also a fraternity is inherently "discriminatory" (I know several alums who have used that word to describe the membership policy ... which is stupid, and waters down actual examples of discrimination).

Somewhat related, and this falls into the "pro-coed" camp: an interesting article on study conducted by the Norwegian military ...

https://qz.com/1217098/norwegian-experiment-shows-how-to-change-mens-ideas-on-gender/

• Like 3