Madison Scouts survey: all male v.s. Co ed

Madison Scouts survey  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Madison Scouts remain all male or go Co ed?

• Remain all male
    • Go Co ed

On 6/2/2018 at 5:36 AM, corps8294 said:

Should the Madison Scouts opt to become a coed corps; I would hope they do it because they believe that's what's best for the corps and not because it's the "politically correct" thing to do. Younger Millenials and Gen Z youth love to make anything and everything some sort of pc saga. 

Maybe that is because prior generations have done nothing to fix the issues that youth care about?  Maybe my saying "have done nothing" is too harsh, but I would argue that your claim that "Younger Millenials and Gen Z youth love to make anything and everything some sort of pc saga" is rather dismissive of the issue at hand.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Forevergreen said:

The Boy Scouts have gone co-ed. Both the Scouts and the Cavaliers have scout troop charters.  I don’t feel one way or another about it.  

For the record, as of this year they also both have co-ed WGI Winds ensembles.

57 minutes ago, ndkbass said:

Maybe that is because prior generations have done nothing to fix the issues that youth care about?  Maybe my saying "have done nothing" is too harsh, but I would argue that your claim that "Younger Millenials and Gen Z youth love to make anything and everything some sort of pc saga" is rather dismissive of the issue at hand.

Interesting post. How do issues youth care about come into being?  I would like to hope it happens organically.  But the cynic in me wonders if these issues are jammed down the throats of the younger generation by the older generations e.g. baby boomers. Indoctrination in the schools for example. As a baby boomer, I'd like to add that I find baby boomers an extremely irritating lot for the most part. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar said:

Bushwa ... you're not talking to enough young people.

Hah...I teach undergraduates at a land-grant university in the Pacific Northwest.  Pretty sure I do almost nothing but talk to young people.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Interesting post. How do issues youth care about come into being?  I would like to hope it happens organically.  But the cynic in me wonders if these issues are jammed down the throats of the younger generation by the older generations e.g. baby boomers. Indoctrination in the schools for example. As a baby boomer, I'd like to add that I find baby boomers an extremely irritating lot for the most part. 

As a big fan of the ideas of Antonio Gramsci, and his concept of the organic intellectual, I agree with you that, hopefully, people do acquire knowledge through the practice of organic question and answer.  Principles of free inquiry are certainly important.  But, even if the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence, I do believe that any inquiry must be founded on verified forms and methods of knowledge production.  The scientific method is one example, and the rooting out of logical fallacies another.

I think indoctrination is definitely what does not happen at schools, and that people sometime confuse what schools actually do as indoctrination because they do not like the results education produces [i.e., the empowerment of certain groups/ideas] and/or they confuse the ideas of speech with inquiry.  Schools, especially universities and even more so graduate programs, are about curating accuracy of speech not freedom of speech, which is something entirely different than freedom of inquiry or research.  This is also why there are things like grades.  If free speech was truly allowed and not criticized or corrected in schools, then we would not have grades and we would have no semblance of order for capitalism to determine workers from owners, etc.  Because schools are rightly about limiting speech and creating an atmosphere of accuracy that can be sorted to benefit the accumulation of capital, the idea that schools indoctrinate students circulates widely to sow confusion about what the school system actually does and because it benefits certain positions of power.  Sure, debates over what is accurate can and do occur.  That is basically what the academe is all about.  But academics are not playing with different sets of facts, they are just arguing over the appropriate interpretation of those facts.  If schools indoctrinated students they would do so with absolute disregard to the facts.  I am no saying that a case for indoctrination could not be made about certain institutions, but that, generally speaking, that is not what schools do.  This is also a little outside the realm of this discussion, so I am going to limit my thoughts on this subject in this space.  I am always willing to have a deeper and longer discussion on this topic in other places/spaces that are more specifically focused on the topic.

So, to try and answer your original question, if a societal grievance is not rectified by elders or prior generations it makes sense that youth would still care to research about it and then try to correct it.

Thing is, if Madison does go Co-ed, does this open the flood gate for the Cavalier's as well? Cavalier's might have to change their mascot if they do as well, just to be completely pc.

• Haha 1

With the introduction of a female performer into the brass line, Madison Scouts are now already officially " Co-ed " it would seem to me.

The definition of something being " Co-ed ", does not require a number to be attached to it. So whether its a mix of 1 or 50, its really only a number. Its still a " Co-Ed " Drum Corps. Also, the survey, and in particular the wording of the survey, coupled with the Corps already breaking history and becoming " Co- Ed", pretty much seals the deal for the future here it seems to me.

The Cavaliers will soon follow. and become Co- Ed as well, imo . The one Gender Corps are a  thing of the past ( Drum Corps used to have All Female Corps too... lots of them ).

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1