Madison Scouts survey: all male v.s. Co ed

Madison Scouts survey  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Madison Scouts remain all male or go Co ed?

• Remain all male
    • Go Co ed

I know that the connection to Scouting was tenuous - 

but now that BSA is no longer a male only group - no reason to remain a male only corps - 

I think this summer is going to be a great show with a great soloist -- there is no reason to be afraid of opening up the ranks to everyone -- 

In drum corps every member contributes to a complete whole - every member brings value -- 

I appreciate the tradition of the all guys corps like Madison and Cavies -- since the 90s, Cavies have been the stronger of the two and it's been easier for them to sustain the all male thing -- 

Madison could open up auditions to all interested individuals and see how it turns out -- if for some reason down the road they decide to change back to being all male, fine -- whatever -- we don't need to be all absolutist about this -- it's just performing arts.... it's not like we're doing brain surgery here or trying to colonize Mars.... Art is not an exacting science -- Art is open to lots of experimentation without any really cost for failure -- 

Madison goes coed for a few years, maybe they become the new Bluecoats -- maybe they become don't --- give it a whirl, try it out, change back if you need to --

Failure is not final.

3 minutes ago, tedrick said:

but now that BSA is no longer a male only group - no reason to remain a male only corps - 

I think this summer is going to be a great show with a great soloist -- there is no reason to be afraid of opening up the ranks to everyone -- 

In drum corps every member contributes to a complete whole - every member brings value -- 

I appreciate the tradition of the all guys corps like Madison and Cavies -- since the 90s, Cavies have been the stronger of the two and it's been easier for them to sustain the all male thing -- 

Madison could open up auditions to all interested individuals and see how it turns out -- if for some reason down the road they decide to change back to being all male, fine -- whatever -- we don't need to be all absolutist about this -- it's just performing arts.... it's not like we're doing brain surgery here or trying to colonize Mars.... Art is not an exacting science -- Art is open to lots of experimentation without any really cost for failure -- 

Madison goes coed for a few years, maybe they become the new Bluecoats -- maybe they become don't --- give it a whirl, try it out, change back if you need to --

Failure is not final.

but the feelings of the females turned away after they are viewed as "an experiment or failed experiment" could be more hurtful than when they had to embrace the reality that boys and girls are not the same and Madison was founded for boys.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@xandandl

fair enough - I guess I would say try it -- see how it goes -- if it goes well, (which I think it would) great! if it doesn't go well, say, "Welp, next year we're just going to be all guys, or all girls" -- kind of like how color guards are mixed some years and not other years (ie Phantom or SCV) -- it's cool - there are plenty of drum corps to choose from for everyone and flights to Indiana are reasonable -- 

Edited by tedrick
specify to whom reply addressed -

1 hour ago, whitedj2002 said:

Having just voted, I am intrigued what motivates this timely Socio/Financial conversation. The all-mighty Mission Statement penned by every 501c3 is lofty and vague at best. As a fan I have always considered the remaining  all male corps to have the deepest traditions and yes, Brotherhood that exemplifies their Mission Statement. The Mission Statement seems to be wielded as a weapon against this time honored tradition.  If the organization is willing to reinvent themselves for a greater genetic pool I fear they can't see the forest for the trees.  If we force inclusiveness and become " like everyone else" then we are all diminished.  

Not meaning this to you personally, but in general, I find the idea of inclusiveness being a bad thing to be :blink:.

Mike

• Like 1

"Having just voted, I am intrigued what motivates this timely Socio/Financial conversation. The all-mighty Mission Statement penned by every 501c3 is lofty and vague at best. As a fan I have always considered the remaining  all male corps to have the deepest traditions and yes, Brotherhood that exemplifies their Mission Statement. The Mission Statement seems to be wielded as a weapon against this time honored tradition.  If the organization is willing to reinvent themselves for a greater genetic pool I fear they can't see the forest for the trees.  If we force inclusiveness and become " like everyone else" then we are all diminished. "

Well said. Thanks for sharing. 

Edited by madisonsmiley
Forgot quote

1 hour ago, tedrick said:

This is often cited as a reason for the Scouts to co-oed. However, it's a fallacy of argument. All BSA troops will remain single sex. BSA will have all-male troops and they will have all-female troops, but no co-ed troops. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, tedrick said:

Failure is not final.

the problem is going back may not be good. going may not be good. there's far larger issues at play than gender within the organization

• Like 1

Madison hasn't been all-male since they had a female in their show back in the 70s.  #Salty #ComeAtMe #ItsJustAJoke

2 hours ago, drummer5485 said:

Madison hasn't been all-male since they had a female in their show back in the 70s.  #Salty #ComeAtMe #ItsJustAJoke

Director Bill Howard's 10-year old daughter was Alice in their 1971 Alice in Wonderland show, the year of the themed shows when drum corps died. 

Garfield - America, the Brave (Revolutionary War)

Scouts - Alice in Woinderland

Cavies - Circus

St Rita's Brassmen - Woodstock

• Like 2