Madison Scouts survey: all male v.s. Co ed

Madison Scouts survey  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Madison Scouts remain all male or go Co ed?

• Remain all male
    • Go Co ed

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

Director Bill Howard's 10-year old daughter was Alice in their 1971 Alice in Wonderland show, the year of the themed shows when drum corps died. 

Garfield - America, the Brave (Revolutionary War)

Scouts - Alice in Woinderland

Cavies - Circus

St Rita's Brassmen - Woodstock

when drum corps died the first time. per some, it's been dying annually since

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

when drum corps died the first time. per some, it's been dying annually since

"After the first death, there is no other."

I don't know why I feel this way... but being all male seems to still work for the Cavaliers but somehow not for Madison.  Just a gut feeling I have.  It might have something to do with the changes that are happening in general scouting organizations.  Dunno.

• Thanks 1

If you want to talk scouting- Madison at one time was an Explorer Post, which is different from the run of the mill Scout Troop. Those have been co-ed for years.

I think Jeff is very right, though. There's been some ups and downs, some kind of malaise in terms of programming. I took a beating from Crossmen fans over 2008 when I felt Madison wanted it a lot more and squeaked in through force of will...2011 and 2013 were signs things were improving... It just seems they're battling to make finals when everyone seems to feel and imply there could be more. A lot more, regardless of who is in the corps. My guess is they're just not on the 'first choice' list of a lot of people who want to march. They need to figure out how to get themselves back on that list, and I don't think this is a panacea. If they move towards co-ed, it's just a part of more that needs to be done at best.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

"After the first death, there is no other."

wasn't that a Blue Knights show?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

wasn't that a Blue Knights show?

"I knew a man, his brain was so small
He couldn't think of nothing at all
Not the same as you and me
He doesn't dig poetry
He's so unhip that when you say Dylan
He thinks you're talking about Dylan Thomas
Whoever he was
The man ain't got no culture"

2 hours ago, luv4corps said:

I don't know why I feel this way... but being all male seems to still work for the Cavaliers but somehow not for Madison.  Just a gut feeling I have.  It might have something to do with the changes that are happening in general scouting organizations.  Dunno.

It works for Cavaliers because of right decisions and good management which draw the right people, staff as well as MMs. The core of the organization is not stuck one way or another. If one thing works for 1 and not another you have to stop looking at outside things and look within. This is the hardest thing to do because often people want to blame anything other than their own decisions, methods and basic way of thinking. JMO

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

It works for Cavaliers because of right decisions and good management which draw the right people, staff as well as MMs. The core of the organization is not stuck one way or another. If one thing works for 1 and not another you have to stop looking at outside things and look within. This is the hardest thing to do because often people want to blame anything other than their own decisions, methods and basic way of thinking. JMO

Yes.   It ain't about the chromosomes, it's about the talent (staff, MMs) and management.  A co-ed Madison Scouts, with the same talent and same management, would likely finish competitively the same.  The theory that the mere act of adding women makes the talent level improve is an untested and likely untrue one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 6/18/2018 at 4:26 PM, tedrick said:

@xandandl

fair enough - I guess I would say try it -- see how it goes -- if it goes well, (which I think it would) great! if it doesn't go well, say, "Welp, next year we're just going to be all guys, or all girls" -- kind of like how color guards are mixed some years and not other years (ie Phantom or SCV) -- it's cool - there are plenty of drum corps to choose from for everyone and flights to Indiana are reasonable -- 

How about 2 Corps of 75 members each.  One all male, the other all female.  Do the same show but at double-interval.  A week before DCI merge them into a single Corps.  If nothing else, they could be in twice the number of shows & get twice the appearance fees....

• Haha 1