Madison Scouts survey: all male v.s. Co ed

Madison Scouts survey  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Madison Scouts remain all male or go Co ed?

• Remain all male
    • Go Co ed

Most of the co-ed drum corps have never even sniffed a DCI championship. Madison going co-ed doesn't get them any closer to a championship. This is just modern day PC crazy talk. MDCGA.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, luv4corps said:

I don't know why I feel this way... but being all male seems to still work for the Cavaliers but somehow not for Madison.  Just a gut feeling I have.  It might have something to do with the changes that are happening in general scouting organizations.  Dunno.

The changes in general scouting organizations are ridiculous. When did everyone become angry at everything?

4 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Yes.   It ain't about the chromosomes, it's about the talent (staff, MMs) and management.  A co-ed Madison Scouts, with the same talent and same management, would likely finish competitively the same.  The theory that the mere act of adding women makes the talent level improve is an untested and likely untrue one.

preach

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

But there were t-shirts in ‘71.  :laughing:

Dad has one

• Like 2

13 hours ago, FlamMan said:

Most of the co-ed drum corps have never even sniffed a DCI championship. Madison going co-ed doesn't get them any closer to a championship. This is just modern day PC crazy talk. MDCGA.

NM

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

On 6/18/2018 at 12:38 PM, whitedj2002 said:

Having just voted, I am intrigued what motivates this timely Socio/Financial conversation. The all-mighty Mission Statement penned by every 501c3 is lofty and vague at best. As a fan I have always considered the remaining  all male corps to have the deepest traditions and yes, Brotherhood that exemplifies their Mission Statement. The Mission Statement seems to be wielded as a weapon against this time honored tradition.  If the organization is willing to reinvent themselves for a greater genetic pool I fear they can't see the forest for the trees.  If we force inclusiveness and become " like everyone else" then we are all diminished.  

From the 2016 Scout member perspective, Tradition actually ranked toward the bottom. Youth members overwhelmingly seem to care most about Brotherhood/Family Culture, Show Design, and Educational Experience. (2016 Scouts poll results here).

4 minutes ago, chadwick_michael said:

From the 2016 Scout member perspective, Tradition actually ranked toward the bottom. Youth members overwhelmingly seem to care most about Brotherhood/Family Culture, Show Design, and Educational Experience. (2016 Scouts poll results here).

I assume this likely has to do a lot with funding as corporations may not want to fund male-only (or female-only) groups.

On 6/1/2018 at 7:59 AM, Tim K said:

That could very well be the case if recruiting talent is the issue. Personally, I think Madison’s issues are more identity issues which recruiting women will not solve. Madison needs more compelling  shows that at the same time scream Madison. I have loved Madison for years, and while there have been some good efforts, there are times something is lacking. Recruiting woes would be the “Look, we’re doing something new” thing Madison may need, though I think much of it’s identity is being all male, but without a compelling show that says Madison, the results will be the same.

I disagree. Madison needs to stop worrying about shows that "scream Madison," whatever that means. They need to look at corps that have reinvented themselves and do the same. Their legacy will always be what it was. As DCI grows, they are going to continue to decline if every show design begins with 1.) What will best work with only guys, and 2.) What screams Madison.

20 hours ago, FlamMan said:

Madison will never again be a medalist, let alone a DCI champion, as an all-Male corps. 

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Sad 1