2018 Uniforms!

7 hours ago, hostrauser said:

Only for the fans, not the judges. The past ten years (2008-2017), on Finals night...

1. The DCI Champion has finished 1st in Brass 3 times (30%)
  2. The DCI Champion has finished 1st in Musical Ensemble/Analysis 5 times (50%)
  3. The DCI Champion has finished 1st in Percussion 4 times (40%)

The past ten years (2008-2017), on Finals night...

1. The DCI Champion has finished 1st in Visual Performance 7 times (70%)
  2. The DCI Champion has finished 1st in Visual Ensemble/Analysis 7 times (70%)
  3. The DCI Champion has finished 1st in Color Guard 6 times (60%)

The Blue Devils are 0.4 points away from having won three championships in a row, and they've won exactly 1 musical sub-caption at Finals in the past three seasons (they've taken 8 of 9 visual sub-captions). At this point in DCI's evolution, uniform design matters more than ever.

Difficult to say.  Oddly enough, during this same 10 year period, the champ won the visual caption 60% of the time, but won the music caption 70% of the time.

However, I did notice that there seems to be more of a correlation between visual caption dominance and GE Visual, then there is between Music caption dominance and Music GE.  Over the last 10 years, the visual caption winner (BD every year, they are machines) also wins GE Vis 80% of the time, but the music caption winner only wins music GE 50% of the time.  And the variability in placement between GE Vis and Vis Caption is much lower compared to the music side.  For example, if a corps places 1st in GE Vis, they will place 1 or 2 in Visual Caption.  But same cannot be said for Music (ie, CC won GE Vis twice but placed 3rd in Music.  One year BD tied for 1st in Music, and placed 4th in Music GE).  Could suggest that committing to a strong visual program is more likely to drag GE points.  This supports your argument that uniform design matters.

Either way, clearly, I am having trouble sleeping tonight.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lance said:

could you imagine a woman wearing any of that?

(totally joking, i like those costumes)

Middle of the night delirious-ness. I already knew these were Cavies and I love them.

12 hours ago, xandandl said:

VVBzAgM2WIbaGNFCKs_jDkVQ_oSrL9P-Lfr86G1oMco.jpg?fit=crop&crop=faces%2Centropy&arh=2&w=960&s=d16ead1c9d7dce75bd20bdaab2cf8a57

I find it interesting that two different mfg. houses have combined on this uni. Which did which?

I wonder which house gets the nod in the battle of the lobbyists?

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I find it interesting that two different mfg. houses have combined on this uni. Which did which?

I wonder which house gets the nod in the battle of the lobbyists?

The jackets are actually repurposed from 2009. They modified them to suit this year’s show. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, runyancm said:

Difficult to say.  Oddly enough, during this same 10 year period, the champ won the visual caption 60% of the time, but won the music caption 70% of the time.

However, I did notice that there seems to be more of a correlation between visual caption dominance and GE Visual, then there is between Music caption dominance and Music GE.  Over the last 10 years, the visual caption winner (BD every year, they are machines) also wins GE Vis 80% of the time, but the music caption winner only wins music GE 50% of the time.  And the variability in placement between GE Vis and Vis Caption is much lower compared to the music side.  For example, if a corps places 1st in GE Vis, they will place 1 or 2 in Visual Caption.  But same cannot be said for Music (ie, CC won GE Vis twice but placed 3rd in Music.  One year BD tied for 1st in Music, and placed 4th in Music GE).  Could suggest that committing to a strong visual program is more likely to drag GE points.  This supports your argument that uniform design matters.

Either way, clearly, I am having trouble sleeping tonight.

I think differences in correlation between the GE caption and the performance captions are more compelling / interesting than which captions the winning corps tends to take.

BD has won the night like 6 of the last 10 years, and they're usually the best visually - ergo, "the corps that wins gold usually wins visual." When BD didn't win gold -- 2008 BD won GE Visual and Visual Total, 2011 Cadets won GE Visual but BD won Visual Total, 2013 BD won GE Visual and Total Visual, and 2016 Coats won GE but BD won Total Visual. Point is, BD wins visual...

• Thanks 1