2018 Uniforms!

Blue Stars design meeting, October 2017.  A dimly lit party room in the back of an Italian family eatery.  A small group of dudes are sitting around a table.

Designer A: I think we should try to make the corps look as frumpy as possible

Designer B: Totally.  Frumpy is totally in right now

Designer A: We can put accessories around the stomach to make everyone look bigger.  And we can have them wear faux rain boots because, why not!

Corps Director: Um, guys, I don't know

Designer A: We will throw in some Carpenter songs 

Corps Director (and life long Carpenters fan): OMG, YES.  WE HAVE OUR 2018 SHOW DESIGN!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

Blue Stars design meeting, October 2017.  A dimly lit party room in the back of an Italian family eatery.  A small group of dudes are sitting around a table.

Designer A: I think we should try to make the corps look as frumpy as possible

Designer B: Totally.  Frumpy is totally in right now

Designer A: We can put accessories around the stomach to make everyone look bigger.  And we can have them wear faux rain boots because, why not!

Corps Director: Um, guys, I don't know

Designer A: We will throw in some Carpenter songs 

Corps Director (and life long Carpenters fan): OMG, YES.  WE HAVE OUR 2018 SHOW DESIGN!!!

Sometimes salty about the stars

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tedrick said:

Blue Stars will rue the day the decided having all the corps in one costume - they could have at least mixed in a Wendy or Pilchard

Scoop, Muck and Dizzy, and Roley too
Lofty and Wendy join the crew
Bob and the gang have so much fun
Working together they get the job done

Bob the Builder!
Can we fix it?
Bob the Builder!
Yes we can!

Pilchard and Bird, Travis and Spud
Playing together like good friends should

Screen_Shot_2018_06_21_at_11_26_43_PM.pn

I thought Crown had the most ridiculous costume so far but they are now in second place. This corps once had a very iconic look but now? Yuck.

• Like 1

Blue Stars, fitting will help a bit. I didn't mind the corps and guard in same uniform. I don't like the tool belts. They break up the uniform and make everyone look short and clunky and also destroy any sense of line.

PR- ok

Boston had the worst uniform of the night. The map references are pale and a small part of the uniform and won't be seen from the stands. I also don't like exposed arms. They don't work for me on any corps. No sleeves are cooler but without them when doing body work, there's no line, extension.

Cavies- Good

Crown- dark which fits the theme but dark unis and dark/dull flags makes everything fade away. Maybe in person it will look better.

Bluecoats- very cool overall but I agree with whoever said they don't fit well.

Edited by shawn craig
  • Like 1

I hope you all realize that for several of these corps, the uniforms literally just arrived.  There was not ample time for fittings - just getting them in the field was close to a miracle.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

All you people #####ing about "costumes" better put their money where their mouth is and donate to the groups still in a uniform. Pioneer and surf i believe are still traditional. 

So, what category would you place Spirit this year?

1 hour ago, shawn craig said:

Blue Stars, fitting will help a bit. I didn't mind the corps and guard in same uniform. I don't like the tool belts. They break up the uniform and make everyone look short and clunky and also destroy any sense of line.

An old-school drill guy I know always says that part of the reason hats and plumes work well for drum corps is they make everyone seem taller.  I was thinking about this when i saw the Blue Stars.  Not only does their lack of headgear make them look shorter, but those tool belts made their middles wider and accentuated the effect.  As you said, "short and clunky".

In general, I feel a lot of uniform designs are being done with close ups and middle distance photos in mind and not for how they make the corps look from at the top of the stadium.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

All you people #####ing about "costumes" better put their money where their mouth is and donate to the groups still in a uniform. Pioneer and surf i believe are still traditional. 

It doesn't matter weather a corps uses a "traditional" uniform or a "costume," there have been some of each that work and some that don't. Also sometimes guard uniforms/costumes look good with the theme and main corps, sometime they don't. Case by case basis.

• Like 1