DCI Media Through the Years

I am in the process of rebuilding/building my drum corps media library including vinyl, CDs, DVDs, etc. I was wondering if anyone has a list of what media was produced annually by DCI so that I can have a better understanding of what is actually out there to find. For example, in 1983 there were five volumes of vinyl produced, but in 1984, there were six volumes produced. Likewise some cd sets only have the top twelve finalists instead of the top twenty-one corps. I would greatly appreciate any assistance in this pursuit.

And as a shameful plug, if you have any media that you would consider letting go, send me a message.

A list like this would be a very useful resource.

Wow, this is a task I would have fun with since I think I have most everything that DCI has released since 1972 (only missing a few things)...

This may take a while, so I'll post as I have time:  Lets go with vinyl first -

1972 -  three volumes from finals.  I think a DCI Preview album set was also released through Fleetwood (3 volumes) as well, which had early season recordings.

1973 -  three vol. finals.

1974 - five volumes.  

1975 -  five volumes.  

1976 - five

1977 - five

1978 - five

1979 - five

1980 - five, and State of the Art was released with BD and SCV

1981 - five

1982 - five

1983 - five

1984 - six thanks to Bill Cook wanting his son's Colts recording on the record set :)

1985 - six

1986 - six

1987 - six

1988 - six

1989 - six

For CD sets -

First, in the mid 90's DCI released the Collector's Edition sets with 1972 - 1996 top 12 on CD (five volumes, five cd sets in each volume, 2 CD's per set)

1988 - first year for CD, top 12 only

1989 - top 12

1990 - top 21

91 - now, most years top 21 or more, depending on how many corps did semis or how many corps were World Class, etc.  I think in 2006 DCI only did top 12 on CD then rest of corps were released via audio downloads, and the same for 2007.  They went back to top 21 or whatever in 2008 and have been that way pretty much since.  Some CD sets were 4 volumes, others 3 most years.

They also released various CD's like Ornaments in Brass, Best of the 90's,and midseason CD sets from 1998 to 2002 or 2003 (corps recorded midseason at San Antonio or similar).

For VHS/DVD - yikes, there was lots of stuff.  Doing this off the top of my head right now, but here is what I remember:

Obviously, there are the blu-ray/DVD sets that DCI started in 2009, and then there is the Legacy series complete set with 1974 thru 1999 top 12 on DVD.  There are also the three special blu-ray sets that DCI still is selling with various corps from various years remastered (I highly recommend these by the way, they sound and look fabulous).  There were the three "Countdown" DVD sets released in mid-2000's from the Classic Countdown movie theater showings.  And there are also various years where corps 13-21 were released on a DVD, and even some years where Div.2/3 or Open Class were released on DVD. Lots of stuff is still on sale thru DCI, although the pickings are getting slim.

The first DVD sets released were in 2000, and thru 2007 those DVD sets had the various audio tracks you could pick while watching (like judge recordings, staff recordings, etc) as well as various video tracks like high camera, multicamera, guard, or percussion.  Those were top 12 corps.

VHS - so many, it will be hard to keep track!  I think the first VHS released to the public was probably in the 70's (late).  DCI provided the PBS broadcast of top 12 on VHS, as well as prelims videos in high camera of all the corps.  That started in 79 I think, and those high cam vids were released each year thru 1987 from DCI.  Video Express took over in 1988, and they released individual videos on VHS of each corps, plus a full finals set, a full high camera or multicam prelims set, etc.  I think they lasted thru 1994, releasing full finals multicamera, individual, or quarterfinals/semis of top 25 each year.  

I''ll try and continue later...

53 minutes ago, leed17 said:

Wow, this is a task I would have fun with since I think I have most everything that DCI has released since 1972 (only missing a few things)...

This may take a while, so I'll post as I have time:  Lets go with vinyl first -

1972 -  three volumes from finals.  I think a DCI Preview album set was also released through Fleetwood (3 volumes) as well, which had early season recordings.

1973 -  three vol. finals.

1974 - five volumes.  

1975 -  five volumes.  

1976 - five

1977 - five

1978 - five

1979 - five

1980 - five, and State of the Art was released with BD and SCV

1981 - five

1982 - five

1983 - five

1984 - six thanks to Bill Cook wanting his son's Colts recording on the record set :)

1985 - six

1986 - six

1987 - six

1988 - six

1989 - six

hmmm......I'm missing some corps. Do you do individual corps here and there?

On 6/6/2018 at 10:14 AM, leed17 said:

For CD sets -

First, in the mid 90's DCI released the Collector's Edition sets with 1972 - 1996 top 12 on CD (five volumes, five cd sets in each volume, 2 CD's per set)

1988 - first year for CD, top 12 only

1989 - top 12

1990 - top 21

91 - now, most years top 21 or more, depending on how many corps did semis or how many corps were World Class, etc.  I think in 2006 DCI only did top 12 on CD then rest of corps were released via audio downloads, and the same for 2007.  They went back to top 21 or whatever in 2008 and have been that way pretty much since.  Some CD sets were 4 volumes, others 3 most years.

They also released various CD's like Ornaments in Brass, Best of the 90's,and midseason CD sets from 1998 to 2002 or 2003 (corps recorded midseason at San Antonio or similar).

This is where a master list would be helpful. I believe 2006 and 2007 cds we’re only top 12. But was there a separate cd for semifinalists and quarterfinalists? 

I have the 1994 cd which is two discs but is top 14, I believe. But my 1993 is three discs and top 21. Was there an additional 1994 disc? Or were there ever different versions of CDs of the same year that were offered like a finalist CD set and also a finalist/semifinalist/quarterfinalist set? 

19 hours ago, afoster87 said:

This is where a master list would be helpful. I believe 2006 and 2007 cds we’re only top 12. But was there a separate cd for semifinalists and quarterfinalists? 

I have the 1994 cd which is two discs but is top 14, I believe. But my 1993 is three discs and top 21. Was there an additional 1994 disc? Or were there ever different versions of CDs of the same year that were offered like a finalist CD set and also a finalist/semifinalist/quarterfinalist set? 

I believe 1994 they offered top 21 or top 12 on CD...In 2006 and 2007 they didn't offer a second CD set for corps 13-21.  Those corps were available via an audio download on the old DCI Fan Network, so if you wanted those corps you had to buy each one individually and make your own CD set each of those years.  Its crazy how much stuff was out there and is now so hard to find due to licensing, limited editions, etc.