Audubon bon bons

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

I first saw the Bon Bons in 1963, at the very first show I attended as a 10-year-old. Saw them often thereafter through my marching career. Loved them!

Here is a link to some old film (thanks Roy Perez) that has been lovingly preserved online. The films were silent; Roy added music from the show. They were taken from the 1971 VFW Nationals prelims in Dallas.

The 1971 Bon bons.

That was one of the years my friend marched.  Thanks for this!!!

• Like 1

The junior corps I was with competed against the Bon Bons numerous times in local-circuit shows, NJ- PA area.  They cleaned our clock every time.  LOL.

I remember the Bon Bons' home show... a very, very long awards ceremony at the end of the evening. :tongue: Every Bon Bons age-out would be called up to the front, one at a time, and they would each receive a set of luggage, or some other good-sized gift, from Mr. and Mrs. Bernert, the folks who ran the corps.

• Like 4

Audubon was unquestionably the finest all-girl drum corps ever.  But their real legacy is that of a true title-contending drum corps, gender aside.

In their prime 1956-1958, when corps like Holy Name, St. Vincent's and Blessed Sacrament were annual winners of major titles, Audubon was right up there with them, exchanging victories from week to week.  Unfortunately, the ultimate prize of a "national championship" eluded them, but you cannot come any closer than they did.

1953 VFW Nationals

1. St. Vincent's Cadets 89.75
  2. Audubon Bon Bons 89.65
  3. Most Precious Blood (i.e. Boston) Crusaders 88.65

1957 Dream Contest

1. Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights 87.1
  2. Audubon Bon Bons 87.05
  3. Holy Name Cadets 85.5

1957 American Legion Nationals

1. Holy Name Cadets 91.3
  2. Audubon Bon Bons 90.95
  3. Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights 89.63
  4. Hyde Park (i.e. Boston) Crusaders 88.54
  5. St. Vincent's Cadets 87.21

The early 1970s Audubon corps was a strong performer, still more interested in open competition... but they dabbled in "all-girl" class contests, winning a slew of titles there.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Audubon was unquestionably the finest all-girl drum corps ever.  But their real legacy is that of a true title-contending drum corps, gender aside.

In their prime 1956-1958, when corps like Holy Name, St. Vincent's and Blessed Sacrament were annual winners of major titles, Audubon was right up there with them, exchanging victories from week to week.  Unfortunately, the ultimate prize of a "national championship" eluded them, but you cannot come any closer than they did.

1953 VFW Nationals

1. St. Vincent's Cadets 89.75
  2. Audubon Bon Bons 89.65
  3. Most Precious Blood (i.e. Boston) Crusaders 88.65

1957 Dream Contest

1. Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights 87.1
  2. Audubon Bon Bons 87.05
  3. Holy Name Cadets 85.5

1957 American Legion Nationals

1. Holy Name Cadets 91.3
  2. Audubon Bon Bons 90.95
  3. Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights 89.63
  4. Hyde Park (i.e. Boston) Crusaders 88.54
  5. St. Vincent's Cadets 87.21

The early 1970s Audubon corps was a strong performer, still more interested in open competition... but they dabbled in "all-girl" class contests, winning a slew of titles there.

It was this 1957 AL National Championship Finals competition, that the prevailing thought in some quarters were that the Audubon Bon Bons should have won, but the " good ol' boys " at the time in the Vets Organization and in the judging ranks would not permit an " All Female  Corps " to be its National Champion. An All Male Corps won... Cadets. This All Female Corps sure came close though if we look at the score ( over a dozen All Male Corps competed in the prelims in '57 too). The Audubon, N.J.  Bon Bons Corps won Percussion too if I'm not mistaken at this '57 National Championship.

Edited by BRASSO

11 hours ago, BRASSO said:

It was this 1957 AL National Championship Finals competition, that the prevailing thought in some quarters were that the Audubon Bon Bons should have won, but the " good ol' boys " at the time in the Vets Organization and in the judging ranks would not permit an " All Female  Corps " to be its National Champion. An All Male Corps won... Cadets. This All Female Corps sure came close though if we look at the score ( over a dozen All Male Corps competed in the prelims in '57 too). The Audubon, N.J.  Bon Bons Corps won Percussion too if I'm not mistaken at this '57 National Championship.

Oh those TALL TAILS  TALES of the past.. Guess like in everything that depends who you talk to. No doubt both of quality, So many have told me anyway

Edited by GUARDLING

2 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Oh those TALL TAILS of the past.. Guess like in everything that depends who you talk to. No doubt both of quality, So many have told me anyway

TALL TAILS or TALL TALES?????  I hope you mean the latter.

• Thanks 1