Audubon bon bons

I knew the drum corps aficionados would come through with some great info!  This activity was such a different world then...  wow.    I haven't had a chance to talk with my Bon Bon friend since our initial convo about drum corps but when I do, I will have much more to say to her.  Can't wait to show her the clip from 71!  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, luv4corps said:

I knew the drum corps aficionados would come through with some great info!  This activity was such a different world then...  wow.    I haven't had a chance to talk with my Bon Bon friend since our initial convo about drum corps but when I do, I will have much more to say to her.  Can't wait to show her the clip from 71!  

On Blue Rock's website, they have a video of 1970 taken from old 8 mm silent film. It was shot at one of the NJ State champs held in Wildwood, NJ,. It is either VFW or AL. One of the shows was held  early in the season and the other at the end in September. At 1:05 there is a short segment of Audobon, just fyi.

1970 NJ State Champs in Wildwood, a bunch of corps...Audobon segment starts at 1:05.

• Like 1

Ray Eyler, their long-time horn instructor came to Westshore in 1979 and would bring Rip in on occasion to help out. Rip really emphasized singing- making sure one was confident in what one did, understood where they were across the ensemble, and in those days with those horns that you were in tune- a very positive presence- as was Ray in developing the corps from "happy to be making DCA finals and we're thankful" to a top 6 serious player.

A few years back I found on E-Bay a "Go Home and Practice!" button I'd been looking for since about 1982, sold by someone from the Bon-Bons- ended up having a great conversation. I think she was pre-1964 when Ray came in, but she was shocked I knew Rip. :satisfied: All said and told, the Bon-Bon alumni I've encountered are pretty proud of what they achieved though a lot of hard work (as they well should be!) and really nice people to boot.

• Like 1

W was Rip brought in during the indoor rehearsals? Can’t remember that but either due to faulty memory or me being away at college most of the season. Bummer if I missed that but being more musical and being with the ensemble were our strong points playing those p/r “beasts”. Of course having lead baris who were music majors helped. And the rest of us including the blue collar guys (Terry M and Bruce B) were always open to try what we were told. You just had to sing what you wanted as the musical terms sounded like pasta dishes lol. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

5 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

W was Rip brought in during the indoor rehearsals? Can’t remember that but either due to faulty memory or me being away at college most of the season. Bummer if I missed that but being more musical and being with the ensemble were our strong points playing those p/r “beasts”. Of course having lead baris who were music majors helped. And the rest of us including the blue collar guys (Terry M and Bruce B) were always open to try what we were told. You just had to sing what you wanted as the musical terms sounded like pasta dishes lol. 

Yes- Rip came in here and there during the indoor part of the season from '79 to '81 when Ray was Brass Caption head and arranger.

• Thanks 1

• 5 years later...