I am bummed out -- Son is not marching this year.

17 hours ago, Drumcorpdad62 said:

After 2 years of marching, my son decided not to march this year a day before move ins.  Already had my trip planned out this summer to hit 5 shows and 4th of July parade.  Still going to sign up for Flo marching and watch remotely and probably attend one show in person.  I have to live vicariously through the other parents this year.  My son is till going through withdraws as well.  

Decided not to march a day before move in.....am sure the staff and some kid that was cut really appreciate such self serving decisions.   Why not a week or two weeks ahead to allow others to adjust to your sons decision and not have to scramble to fill a spot ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Drumcorpdad62 said:

Yes, that was what he wanted when he went off to college, but Freshman year in a Music Ed program really ground him down.  He wasn't ready for the  6 to 8 hours of practice every day for his major.  I really wanted him to march since he committed, but in the end it was his decision.  I agree with you on marching a top 4 corp, this won't help him.

My son did the same thing, although he made the decision much earlier than yours did.. The summer away was very good for him and he was ready to go for his last to years of drum corps after that. He ended up marching 5 of the 7 years he could march. Had to take another off for medical reasons easier in his DCI career. That summer away was also really good for him. 

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:39 AM, bluehull said:

Decided not to march a day before move in.....am sure the staff and some kid that was cut really appreciate such self serving decisions.   Why not a week or two weeks ahead to allow others to adjust to your sons decision and not have to scramble to fill a spot ?

<shrug> It happens to every corps.  Better that it be one day before move ins than one week *after* move ins.

Mike

• Like 1

On 6/16/2018 at 4:14 PM, 2000Cadet said:

I decided not to march my last two after marching 4 years. I was burnt out as well, and after 2000, there was really no point anymore. I didn't think it could get any better than THAT.

You were right. It all started going down hill after 2000 anyway.

On 6/16/2018 at 1:33 PM, Drumcorpdad62 said:

After 2 years of marching, my son decided not to march this year a day before move ins.  Already had my trip planned out this summer to hit 5 shows and 4th of July parade.  Still going to sign up for Flo marching and watch remotely and probably attend one show in person.  I have to live vicariously through the other parents this year.  My son is till going through withdraws as well.  

It is very hard the first year of your kid not marching.  But I am still a super fan and follow the activity more than my former MM does! 

Sometimes I think the parents love it more than the kids who march.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, luv4corps said:

It is very hard the first year of your kid not marching.  But I am still a super fan and follow the activity more than my former MM does! 

Sometimes I think the parents love it more than the kids who march.

I definitely think that was the case my kid’s ageout year.  He was so burned out by then. 

Like I said earlier, he hasn’t been to a show since he marched his last show. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:14 PM, 2000Cadet said:

I decided not to march my last two after marching 4 years. I was burnt out as well, and after 2000, there was really no point anymore. I didn't think it could get any better than THAT.

I think if the last 2+ months have taught us anything, it could have been a LOT better.