Clovis, CA - June 22, 2018

Just got home, I figured I would take my time with my thoughts on SCV and BD. 

Disclaimer: Vanguard homer 

I wasn’t completely into SCVs show right away, but after a minute in, it just kept getting better and better. I wasn’t sure about the cream unis at first but I think they’re growing on me.

The hornline really laid it down. Some of the soloist and small ensembles had some of the best, most virtuosic brass playing I’ve seen from a drum corps (the baritones were out of this world). Overall the cleanest hornline of the night. The show’s theme wasn’t all that clear the entire time but I was too busy drooling over the brass so I probably missed some things. Looking forward to seeing a finished show

edit: also, I heard the scaffolding props are in their final state as far as it’s currently planned and they don’t intend to add to them.

Edited by Hirsbrunner
  • Like 2

BD is always so hit and miss for me. This years show has some great moments and then at other times is a head-scratcher. 

Right off the bat, they actually did a lot of moving all over the field and playing. Later in the show I really liked the attempt at the drum feature alongside the tablas-rhythm-speak  voiceover (I can’t rememeber what it’s actually called). 

The hornline played some of cleanest runs of the night, ... and then at other times had some moments where the balance was weird or there was a slight hiccup side to side, or the tone quality changed (some definite, that was not what was intended moments).

As far as show theme and corps achievement goes, it was off and on for me. That ballad was amazing though and by Indy it will be quite the crowd pleaser.

Edited by Hirsbrunner
  • Like 1

First take on Santa Clara-the new cream team? (via periscope): that is NOT a classic Michael Gaines drill.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pistolpete said:

First take on Santa Clara-the new cream team? (via periscope): that is NOT a classic Michael Gaines drill.

No it’s not, but you could tell his hands were on it at the same time. Kinda cool.

9 minutes ago, pistolpete said:

Agreed. Trying to figure out if that’s a good or a bad thing.

8 hours ago, Photographer Jim said:

when you factor in west coast inflation, small judging panels, differences in venue and sound acoustics, weather, and time zone differences, the actual leader right now is Madison.  But you already knew that

Usually it’s folks east of the Mississippi who speak about West Coast inflation. When I saw the scores this morning, I expected lots of posts from people who saw Thursday’s show predicting a Crown or Bloo victory in August with maybe Cavies or BAC catching someone based on West Coast inflation and overscoring of BD and SCV. It’s kind of a dark morning around here, maybe we just need our coffee. 

Speculation of West Coast inflation usually ends when the top corps begin meeting. I did expect both BD and SCV to have higher scores, so I think we could see some movement with BD, SCV, Crown, and Bloo. Blue Knights scored better than many probably expected. It does look as if predictions regarding Mandarins are accurate and Academy could make noise. 

Tonight Madison, Cadets, and Crossmen will be competing somewhere as will Colts, so we’ll have scores for all of last year’s top 15. Troopers will be competing as will Genesis, and it will be interesting to see how they fare. Tonight could be a late night and tomorrow’s chatter will be interesting.

2 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Usually it’s folks east of the Mississippi who speak about West Coast inflation. When I saw the scores this morning, I expected lots of posts from people who saw Thursday’s show predicting a Crown or Bloo victory in August with maybe Cavies or BAC catching someone based on West Coast inflation and overscoring of BD and SCV. It’s kind of a dark morning around here, maybe we just need our coffee. 

Speculation of West Coast inflation usually ends when the top corps begin meeting. I did expect both BD and SCV to have higher scores, so I think we could see some movement with BD, SCV, Crown, and Bloo. Blue Knights scored better than many probably expected. It does look as if predictions regarding Mandarins are accurate and Academy could make noise. 

Tonight Madison, Cadets, and Crossmen will be competing somewhere as will Colts, so we’ll have scores for all of last year’s top 15. Troopers will be competing as will Genesis, and it will be interesting to see how they fare. Tonight could be a late night and tomorrow’s chatter will be interesting.

Dr. Richard Saucedo judged both the Detroit and Clovis shows in the same caption; his GE numbers might give us a national inkling, at least for his caption.

• Like 1