Clovis, CA - June 22, 2018

11 minutes ago, afd said:

Ah. That’s why I pay...,don’t want to say. 73 in CA is heaven. It was like that last thanksgiving with no H. 

I wimped out several years back on putting up with iffy weather. 6 months in N.E., 6 months in Florida keeps me from shoveling snow or putting up with high humidity anymore. Plus, Florida has no state income tax, so instead of giving it to nobody I know in the State Capitols in Sacramento, Boston or Tallahassee to parse it out, the kids/ grandkids get it.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

I find it interesting that in 2011 and 2013 when Cadets and Crown came out West and won a couple shows, there was no mention of West Coast inflation.

I’d have to look back to past DCP posts, but in 2013 Cadets had a pretty powerful show and in the early season lots of folks who saw Cadets live predicted another championship. I wouldn’t be too surprised if the West Coast inflation argument was used, especially where there was some back and forth victories between BD and Crown. 

1 hour ago, afd said:

What is humidity? 

When you pull your clothes out of the closet in the morning and they feel a bit moist. 

When you have a “travel to work” wardrobe that is separate from what you wear at work. 

47 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I wimped out several years back on putting up with iffy weather. 6 months in N.E., 6 months in Florida keeps me from shoveling snow or putting up with high humidity anymore. Plus, Florida has no state income tax, so instead of giving it to nobody I know in the State Capitols in Sacramento, Boston or Tallahassee to parse it out, the kids/ grandkids get it.

Six months and one day.  I’m right behind you soon enough. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, afd said:

Ok. The west coast inflation thingie is so old. This was based on when we had circuit judges like DCM and DC West and DC East. Most is not all of those shows were local touring shows until mid or late July when a national tour was under way then it all was judge under DCI. Not anymore. It’s now ALL DCI so enough of this old school west coast inflation. And the west coast inflation has inflated into 24 DCI rings. 

Perhaps the West Coast inflation argument goes as far back as you contend, though I will have to admit I don’t recall hearing it back in the days of the circuits (I go back to the mid-70’s as far as following drum corps is concerned). I seemed to hear it more on DCP about 2009 when Crown began to ascend, later with Bloo.

Forget " inflation " scores talk... whenever BD wins, theres " deflation " that takes place throughout every corner in the Drum Corps Kingdom.

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

Perhaps the West Coast inflation argument goes as far back as you contend, though I will have to admit I don’t recall hearing it back in the days of the circuits (I go back to the mid-70’s as far as following drum corps is concerned). I seemed to hear it more on DCP about 2009 when Crown began to ascend, later with Bloo.

I totally recall. That’s where it started. 

Regarding scores going down from semis to finals for the bottom finals tier, 

I imagine they want to have more room to separate corps. If they started with 12th place getting 90, by the time they get to the final 3, they might have put enough gap between earlier performances that the winner might necessarily have to go over 100 points (or 99.65 or whatever) in order to correctly space the gap between competitors. 

This is also why scores cannot be compared from one year to the next. And why Cadets 2005 and Cavs 2002 are still the best shows ever done. But that's not the point. The point is that scores should be more objective. I think the bell curve system is wrong. We'll never see all 12 finalists get 90+ points although I'd very much like to see that happen. A 98 point 1989 SCV probably wouldn't be able to compete for a title nowadays no matter how timeless that performance was. Or a 1989 PR if you preferred that show. 

These judges have tabulation sheets that go over many aspects of judging in that particular caption. Detailed questions are asked and answered and judgments are put into a specific category of how well you did x y and z and how well in those subcategories of ratings/boxes you did x y and z. The score sheets from what I remember them looking like, are pretty specific, and for captions other than GE, which I understand is more subjective by nature, scores can and should be taken literally and should be able to be compared from one show to another. They by nature of the captions and the specificities in the tabulation sheets are seemingly much more objective, yet we maintain that this isn't the case, and thus the reason for my consternation.

The only seeming cause for discrepancies in scores across shows would be a judge sampling different parts of the same caption of the same corps on different days. Or that one judge might "interpret" a tabulation sheet differently than another. Two judges Interpreting the same show differently when the sheets are specific, tells me one judge must have been wrong. When the spread is like .3 or more in that caption. 

Finals weekend should have at least two judges in every single subcaption, and 3 each in GE. 

Raise ticket prices by $2 each and that should be more than enough to pay for the extra cost. 

I'm going to go ahead and assume, for the time being, that Saucedo and Lo judged these two shows the same, and that their captions can indeed be compared. Logic would dictate that given the specific nature of their captions. Especially Lo on brass.

Ok I've said my peace/piece.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1