As The Season Gets Underway...

A question about how corps are judged out of the gate... in regards to which box they're in.

I admit... I know next to nothing about the dynamics of the "box system" other than I know it exists.  LOL. Box 5, Box 4, etc.

My question, for those of you who do know how this works.... are the corps placed in boxes, perhaps not explicitly but in a de facto sense, before their first judged performance, or are the boxes assigned (not sure that's the right phrase) to each corps as they perform, on opening night and/or in their first few shows?

I guess what made me think about this is... what if a lower-echelon World Class corps like, say, Pioneer, Surf, whoever (and no offense meant at all to those corps by calling them "lower-echelon") has an unbelievable offseason and comes out with a monster corps... a corps that very well might rival any of the corps in, say, 7th to 12th place from the previous season.... can they pop a much bigger number than usual on their opening night, in the box system? 

Thanks in advance for any insights here.

Edited by Fran Haring

https://www.wgi.org/percussion/percussion-score-sheets/ click any sheet. The box system is based on the terminology. Box 5 is consistent everybody all the time. The groups normally are in the areas(Pio) due to inexperienced members playing/moving. Boston was able to jump with a new staff that addressed previous differences person to person and pushed them up the box. 

1 hour ago, Ediker said:

Yes, if the corps is better, they can get a bigger number on opening night.  There is no overt pre-boxing of corps.  

(But we on DCP know different.  Heh heh)

• Like 1

judge your sheet and judge the show of the day