2018 singing and narration

Which shows feature singing and/or narration?

How much of the show is either featured?

Yay or neigh?

Edited by ThePlanets

2 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

I believe the Cadets have a smaller vocal ensemble this season, at least that is what I'd heard earlier in the spring. From that I remember they won't be as prominent has last season.

Good. The Cadets and crown both had too much last year. Boston's was tasteful though. 

I thought I caught some singing while skimming through crossmen preview but I don't know how much.

Edited by ThePlanets
  • Like 1

I believe Crossmen have a vocalist...

Sorry, didn't fully read the previous post...

Edited by gak27
poor reading skills...

IMHO, singing/narration works as long as some constraints are observed:

• The quality of the vocals is on par with (or better than) the other musicians present;
  • The vocals should enhance the other musicians, not replace them (i.e. vocals should not take away what would otherwise be great brass moments);
  • If it seems as if we need a separate judge for vocals, then it's too much;
  • The narration is tasteful, relevant, and adds meaning or layer to the show; and
  • Live narration is preferred to cheesy, overly theatrical recordings by people far older than the MMs.  
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, Ediker said:

• Live narration is preferred to cheesy, overly theatrical recordings by people far older than the MMs.  

Sorry, I have to disagree with you there. BD does all of their singing/narration prerecorded and they are the best at using it, IMO. I would much rather hear professional narration than hear a college kid who’s in way above his/her head take a stab at it. It’s backfired far too often and only “worked” a handful of times.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, crownisking said:

Sorry, I have to disagree with you there. BD does all of their singing/narration prerecorded and they are the best at using it, IMO. I would much rather hear professional narration than hear a college kid who’s in way above his/her head take a stab at it. It’s backfired far too often and only “worked” a handful of times.

No problem.  Yours is a fair opinion.  Crown 2013 is an example of narration done well by the MMs.  Many of the kids in this activity can play with the best, so no harm in getting them to narrate well too.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, crownisking said:

Then why not take this to its logical conclusion?  Record brass, pit,& battery under the best acoustic conditions, and play it through the amp system; put one member in pit area to press the "play" button.  Then put 149 guard on the field to do all the movement stuff.

IMHO, every sound heard should be made by members on the field.  If it backfires, well then it backfires.  That is part of the risk and thrill of a live performance.  If the DCI Corps market themselves as the 'Major League of Marching Music' they need to take risks.  No guts, no glory.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5