2018 singing and narration

2 hours ago, Forevergreen said:

I heard that in their preview and tried to see if I could see if there was a singer. I liked the tune, not so sure about the singing quality (I will give spacious room though to sound quality making it sound not as good though).

The Crossmen vocalist is singing the lyrics to REM's "Sweetness Follows", originally sung by Michael Stipe.  The lyrics are important to the show theme.  It doesn't go on long.  The singer is a member of the guard and plays a key role in the show beyond his job with the song.  They didn't go out and recruit singers.  The type of song it is doesn't really require an opera or broadway singer.  It's attempting the style of Michael Stipe.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

My opinion: anything performed should be performed live. If it can't be performed live, it shouldn't be in the show.

Otherwise why not just hire, e.g., Wynton Marsalis to record all the trumpet solos?

and make sure those kids stay off your lawn too!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, chris ncsu said:

I disagree. These days it’s part of the fabric. 

Fair enough. Well if it’s going to be used in shows then the kids had better be up to the challenge. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

and make sure those kids stay off your lawn too!

That's fair.

Although I'm on the record going back about eight years here saying that I had no objections to woodwinds in drum corps, as long as they weren't amplified. Bring on the bagpipes!

3 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

That's fair.

Although I'm on the record going back about eight years here saying that I had no objections to woodwinds in drum corps, as long as they weren't amplified. Bring on the bagpipes!

If you’re not going to amplify the woodwinds then what’s the point of having them? 

37 minutes ago, tedrick said:

inevitable result of all narration/singing threads

giphy.gif

This is probably the most civilized singing/narration thread in the history of DCP...so far anyway.

2 hours ago, crownisking said:

Again, we’re talking about two different skill sets. The MMs are there to play and march, not to sing or recite lines. So comparing prerecorded vocals to a prerecorded playing of an instrument isn’t a fair comparison. 

OK so let the brass & percussion play and march.   I know I am a dinosaur, but all the vocals a show needs are the DM's commands and perhaps 27 counting off the first 27 counts (see video)  

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, crownisking said:

If you’re not going to amplify the woodwinds then what’s the point of having them? 

Piccolos carry just fine. 

• Like 1