Sign in to follow this  
MotoSurfBass

WAAAAAAAAY Too Early Caption Comparisons from Midwest and West Coast Premieres

Recommended Posts

The DCI Season is officially upon us! Which means, lots of futile comparisons of corps performing across the country from each other... 

HOWEVER. 

Three judges judged both the Tour Premiere in Detroit AND the MidCal Showcase in Clovis. While "different show, different day" is certainly in play here, judging on back-to-back days in the same caption may certainly give an early idea of where some judges are tying the two (soon to be three) tours together. So without further ado, here are the rankings of those 15 World and Open Class corps by these three judges:

BRASS  (Albert Lo)

1. Santa Clara Vanguard - 14.6
2. Bluecoats - 14.5
3. Blue Devils - 14.3
4. Carolina Crown - 14.2
5. The Cavaliers - 13.7
6. Boston Crusaders - 13.5
7. Blue Knights - 13.1
8. Phantom Regiment - 12.8
9. The Academy - 12.7
10. Blue Stars - 12.6
11. Mandarins - 12.5
12. Troopers - 11.6
13. Blue Devils B - 11.2
14. Vanguard Cadets - 10.6
15. Blue Devils C - 6.3

 

VISUAL ANALYSIS (Tim Ochran)

1. Blue Devils - 15.2
2. Santa Clara Vanguard - 14.5
3. Carolina Crown - 13.3
4. Blue Knights - 13.0
5. Bluecoats - 12.8
6. The Cavaliers- 12.7
7. Mandarins - 12.4
8. Boston Crusaders - 12.1
9. The Academy - 12.0
10 Blue Devils B - 11.4
11. Phantom Regiment - 11.3
12. Troopers - 11.2
13 Vanguard Cadets - 11.0
14. Blue Stars - 10.5
15. Blue Devils B - 7.0

 

GENERAL EFFECT 2 (Dr. Richard Saucedo)

1. The Cavaliers - 14.6
2. Bluecoats - 14.5
3. Carolina Crown - 14.4
4. Blue Devils - 14.2
5. Santa Clara Vanguard - 13.9
6. Boston Crusaders - 13.8
7. Blue Knights - 13.4
T8. Phantom Regiment - 12.9
T8. Mandarins - 12.9
10. Blue Stars - 12.6
11. The Academy - 12.3
12. Troopers - 11.5
13. Blue Devils B - 10.9
14. Vanguard Cadets - 10.2
15. Blue Devils C - 7.9

Edited by MotoSurfBass
Fixed Cavaliers GE2 Score.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MotoSurfBass said:

The DCI Season is officially upon us! Which means, lots of futile comparisons of corps performing across the country from each other... 

HOWEVER. 

Three judges judged both the Tour Premiere in Detroit AND the MidCal Showcase in Clovis. While "different show, different day" is certainly in play here, judging on back-to-back days in the same caption may certainly give an early idea of where some judges are tying the two (soon to be three) tours together. So without further ado, here are the rankings of those 15 World and Open Class corps by these three judges:

BRASS  (Albert Lo)

1. Santa Clara Vanguard - 14.6
2. Bluecoats - 14.5
3. Blue Devils - 14.3
4. Carolina Crown - 14.2
5. The Cavaliers - 13.7
6. Boston Crusaders - 13.5
7. Blue Knights - 13.1
8. Phantom Regiment - 12.8
9. The Academy - 12.7
10. Blue Stars - 12.6
11. Mandarins - 12.5
12. Troopers - 11.6
13. Blue Devils B - 11.2
14. Vanguard Cadets - 10.6
15. Blue Devils C - 6.3

 

VISUAL ANALYSIS (Tim Ochran)

1. Blue Devils - 15.2
2. Santa Clara Vanguard - 14.5
3. Carolina Crown - 13.3
4. Blue Knights - 13.0
5. Bluecoats - 12.8
6. The Cavaliers- 12.7
7. Mandarins - 12.4
8. Boston Crusaders - 12.1
9. The Academy - 12.0
10 Blue Devils B - 11.4
11. Phantom Regiment - 11.3
12. Troopers - 11.2
13 Vanguard Cadets - 11.0
14. Blue Stars - 10.5
15. Blue Devils B - 7.0

 

GENERAL EFFECT 2 (Dr. Richard Saucedo)

1. The Cavaliers - 14.2
2. Bluecoats - 14.5
3. Carolina Crown - 14.4
4. Blue Devils - 14.2
5. Santa Clara Vanguard - 13.9
6. Boston Crusaders - 13.8
7. Blue Knights - 13.4
T8. Phantom Regiment - 12.9
T8. Mandarins - 12.9
10. Blue Stars - 12.6
11. The Academy - 12.3
12. Troopers - 11.5
13. Blue Devils B - 10.9
14. Vanguard Cadets - 10.2
15. Blue Devils C - 7.9

there is a mistype under Cavaliers. Rich Saucedo gave them a 14.6 which would put them first in his caption.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  DCP already has a section for overall scores, and caption breakdowns. Its been on here and utilized by us DCP'ers for years too. Its under the DCP " Scores and Stats tab "... then under " Caption Ranking System ".  Perhaps the OP is simply  unaware and/ or unfamiliar with it  ?. DCP even ranks the Corps throughout the season on here too.

 

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not only is it way too early..it is dumb IMO...For decades the ONLY real meaningful comparison has been

head to head same show only

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

San Antonio and Atlanta are about the time that it's safe to start hitting the concern and panic buttons in regards to medaling or not medaling, making the top 12 or not making the top 12.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Liahona said:

Not only is it way too early..it is dumb IMO...For decades the ONLY real meaningful comparison has been

head to head same show only

 3 years ago the Blue Knights got a good score the 1st week... despite not having a closer on the field.... at all. They basically stood at attention till the last couple of minutes " completed " their show and time. One would naturally assume under such circumstances their Visual scores/ GE Music scores would jump once they put in at least SOME closer of at least SOME  kind. But once they did, they were going head to head with Corps in their peer group placement mix, and so there basically was no substantive change witnessed at all.  So yes, the head to head match ups are the most critical. Plus, judges are human too. Like all of us, they prefer to get extended times to see/ hear all the Corps more than once... especially with Corps adding/ deleting things in their shows left and right. They're all making changes of some sort in the early going. Every Corps is,.

Edited by BRASSO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it was a great season.  Congrats to the medalists!

 

;)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Well it was a great season.  Congrats to the medalists!

 

;)

Hey, Cadets have yet to compete................................................................and a few others too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Liahona said:

Not only is it way too early..it is dumb IMO...For decades the ONLY real meaningful comparison has been

head to head same show only

Yeah, those spreads and rankings would likely be different even if with those same judges at a head to head show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.