Burning questions after Saturday night

After being at Stanford and seeing the Detroit show, I will honestly be surprised if SCV doesn't run away with this thing. Of course, it would be foolish to proclaim it is a certainty, but that's not what I'm doing. Every single second of their show last night was just spectacular. I've seen them almost every year in June since 2004 (only missed 2005 and 2008). This was by far the best I have ever heard this hornline at this stage, and those mellos - WOW! I always love a sick mello section. Incredible. In fact, this was the best I've ever seen them as a whole in June. They will without a doubt be challenging for every single caption award at finals, as I'm sure BD will too. There is just something so special about this Vanguard show. I'm just not sure it is beatable, especially considering every section is running on all cylinders. I expected BD to win last night, but ONLY because they had a complete show on the field, where as Vanguard didn't. This is one of those legendary shows that everyone is going to be talking about for years. It was a complete 180 from last years show from the look to the music to the visuals. Last year's Vanguard was my favorite since 1999. I think this year's show might be favorite ever. Not just favorite Vanguard show, favorite show period.  It's crazy to me to think that what was on the field wasn't 100% complete, because I can't imagine what they are going to do to enhance this.

BD is just BD (and that's a compliment). They are so #### good. Dazzling. I think them, along with Santa Clara, are just simply out-designing everyone else. If one of these two don't make the top two, I would say right now, BD will be the one out. But, they haven't missed the top 2 since 2006. That will happen someday - I'm just not sure this is the year it is going to happen. The show was very entertaining and their guard book is wonderful. 

Sadly, I do not think Academy has a realistic shot at finals. Why? Because I do not think they will beat Mandarins, and if they do not beat Mandarins there is no other way in. The Mandarins were spectacular. Their uniforms were dazzling from the stands - my favorite of the night along with Vanguard. Great hornline! JW is superman and with him at the helm I am not at all surprised about their upward movement. They are much better than last year.

With everything I've seen, I am super happy. What a great year for drum corps.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

After seeing most of the field perform on video I have to say that I only like a small handful of corps this year. SCV. BD, Bloo, Cadets, Crossmen, I like the Mandarins up until the singing then they totally lost me.

I have only seen very poor quality videos of bluecoats and crown as well as some snippets of BD, Boston, and Crossmen so far.

I would like to think it's a 4 way race for the top...but the Cavies are lurking in the background and can definitely make a push. I still am holding with my preseason prediction of SCV taking it all...and well BD doesn't fall below 2...so... 3 way race for 3rd in that scenario.

As for the Cadets. I like them at #8 but think they could easily get 7 or 10.

I'd like to see the Mandarins make finals... maybe with Crossmen out? But that's a tough one.

Hopefully we are in for a really exciting year?

• Haha 1

1) SCV will win out. 98

2) BD 97

3-6 Cavs Bloo Crown Boston 93-95

7 + 8 Cadets / BK 90-92

Everyone else under 90.

Guessing BStars, Phantom, Crossmen, Mandarins in that order, 85-88

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ok... don't send me to the firing squad...

This is just totally wishful thinking based on what we've seen so far.

Madison is at risk of falling out of finals, that I think is decently obvious.  Also, Crossmen and Blue Stars aren't that far away from groups like Mandarins, Colts, and Academy... in theory.

I would just absolutely loss my mind if we had two shake ups for top 12!  

I say this because Mandarins are dong so well, and Colts almost beat Madison, AFTER having a big gap in performance time, which I think gives the edge to Madison.

As much as I enjoy Blue Stars, I think their show isnt what it needs to be this year.  Also, there's NO WAY those shoes are going to pay off by the end of the season.

Edited by goodmello

33 minutes ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

1) SCV will win out. 98

2) BD 97

3-6 Cavs Bloo Crown Boston 93-95

7 + 8 Cadets / BK 90-92

Everyone else under 90.

Guessing BStars, Phantom, Crossmen, Mandarins in that order, 85-88

I am in 100% agreement with this.

14 minutes ago, goodmello said:

ok... don't send me to the firing squad...

This is just totally wishful thinking based on what we've seen so far.

Madison is at risk of falling out of finals, that I think is decently obvious.  Also, Crossmen and Blue Stars aren't that far away from groups like Mandarins, Colts, and Academy... in theory.

I would just absolutely loss my mind if we had two shake ups for top 12!  

I say this because Mandarins are dong so well, and Colts almost beat Madison, AFTER having a big gap in performance time, which I think gives the edge to Madison.

As much as I enjoy Blue Stars, I think their show isnt what it needs to be this year.  Also, there's NO WAY those shoes are going to pay off by the end of the season.

I do think Madison is at risk of falling out of finals, but I think the performance order hurt Madison last night. Colts were compared to Pioneer (before them) and Madison was compared to Boston (before them). Obviously, anyone would rather be compared to Pioneer than Boston. It's not necessary the order which you perform, it's who you are being compared to - who's on before you basically. Madison would have been better off, IMO, declining the option to go on last and instead going on after Colts.

I would put Mandarins with Crossmen and Blue Stars; and Madison, Colts and Academy together. I just don't see Academy beating the Mandarins, and without beating the Mandarins there is absolutely no way into finals for them. The theme is a huge misfire IMO, and I felt their show was a step down from 2017, which was a step down from 2016. Too bad, really, because Corps Bride was one of my favorite shows in 2016.

Edited by queenanne_1536