Muncie, IN - June 29, 2018

2 minutes ago, karuna said:

No need.  They know exactly who they are.  And  they're not going to change.  That why I said it's sad.   Some things never change. FWIW I agree the poster above -- you're always kind here.

I’m always kind. Not just here.  Quite a few people know me on here. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BRASSO said:

Boston is in a whole different tier than Cadets/ BK/ Phantom this season too, imo. 

To be fair, Boston's in a whole different tier than every corps every year, in your opinion. There's no adjusting for #1 in your heart. :inlove:

(This was mostly tongue-in-cheek, w.r.t. the second line. I'll agree on the last two, not yet on the first one.)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

To be fair, Boston's in a whole different tier than every corps every year, in your opinion. There's no adjusting for #1 in your heart. :inlove:

I don't know. I think I can set aside some natural biases.... as much as humanly possible anyway. Am I biased to believe that here in 2018 that Boston is in a higher tier than 2018 Phantom and 2018 Cadets , and perhaps 2018 BK... I don't believe so. But who knows.  I suppose its possible that its just mostly my bias showing with this, not my arms length objective assessment at work here.

Edited by BRASSO

4 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

Alright Crownies, y'all need to chill a little bit. Not everyone is gonna love everything. I would of thought after last year you'd have thicker skin. 

Brass Lover - its all good my friend, but why should Crown fans chill on their expression of support for their favorite corps?  Should Bloo or Cavies fans chill in their over the hill adoration for them also?   In my opinion, when it comes to Crown people never love everything about their shows, and lots dislike their show entirely or parts of it.  I just think its ironic how, folks ohh and awww over their favorite corps performance and most folks on the forum let them ohh and awww with no response, as they should be allowed too.  But when Crown marches extremely well and plays the heck out of the brass book (i.e. tonight) there is so few comments about their performance other than what was hated or disliked.  I respect different peoples opinions but, it does appear a bit negatively slanted in general towards Crown in the typical show threads, which is fine by me as their opinions.  My only point is I wish the DCP community would give props to all corps where its due and not just focusing on the negative or what was hated or disliked.     

I personally do not understand 2 min of the Cavies show as it relates to the theme/show title, but I can acknowledge that its entertaining and the guard is doing a fantastic job.  I will never probably watch their show after this season, but it has good moments and more importantly the kids are working hard.

-That is all.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

I cried tears of joy.  I watch the video about once a week.  It’s historic for me. 

Yeah no kidding, the intensity they bring and most of the way through the show?????  They're NOT out of gas?????  WOW...……..:cool:

• Like 1

Thoughts on tonight (based on the stream):

Genesis is fun! I could use more Sandman (both Mr. and Enter). Those unis are dope.

Colts--eh? Eh. It was a Colts show. Not sure what the beds have to do with anything. I would've like to hear live singing (even if the narration was recorded); I know the judges apparently trashed them for doing it all live in '14/'15, but there's a difference between Memorex speech and Memorex song.

Crossmen--that was fun! Great unis. Great use of Tchaik 6. Pity the horn solo mic was fuzzed. Vocalist is getting better. The "Crown" feature just thrown in in the closer is a nice touch.

Madison--this is not nearly as bad as it was made out to be. The way people were talking here, I was expecting Relampago's Revenge or something of that ilk. There's definitely things that need to be tweaked--just because Cavies said "men" eighty-some-odd times to lead off a movement and got away with it doesn't mean you should overdub "the heart" for a solid minute. Honestly, if they just dropped all those, cut the musical section that they're happening over down, that tightens up much more nicely. Ditto to what someone said on the other thread on the occasionally breaking form during the stress movement, maybe shore this one up a little, too. And, hey, that means we get the featured soloist in minute 4 or 5 instead of minute 6! Adjusting the brassline reactions to her (not necessarily drill changes, but glances, etc.--you're not wearing hats, take advantage of it) might help there. And the tightening we've done earlier gives us more time for that last movement to be a coherent statement of unity between heart and soul. Ta-da, I fixed it, someone hire me to run their drum corps, I have a Google doc of show ideas five pages long. (/s, except for the Google doc part).

Blue Stars--MELODY! Story still doesn't convey, but I'm not necessarily sure how it would. If you're going to march shoes and spats instead of Timberlands, make them look more like Timberlands? Also, the electrical cord stuff in the guard is REALLY not visible. Get thicker cords. Yellow ones. This one kinda runs into the issue that Spirit '09 did; much like that show fell off once they had to play something from Kansas other than Carry On and Dust in the Wind, this one falls off after "Close to You" (really, in the big hit of "Close to You"). I'll still adore the show because, hey, music I grew up with played by a pretty good brass line, but it's not everything I hoped it could be.

Phantom--still a design upgrade from last year. Still the best design they've had since Turandot. Still mostly a shrug. Still wish we had more from the Dvorak than just the Largo. Also, I now want to hear someone mash the Maslanka Children's Garden of Dream with Mingus's Children's Hour of Dream.

Cavies--still has some flaws (the Lou Reed voice-over is a meh, so's the singing at the end, especially since it's apparently Memorex), but a very, very solid performance. Best designed show on the night, with XMen second.

Crown--I...I just don't get what they're going for. I mean, in some cases I do--"If I Fall" is supposed to show that beasts can have tender, romantic sides; "Blow It Up" and the teeter-totter are competition between beasts. But the rest just...doesn't sell. The extra droopy bits on the uniform make it read fuzzily. The closer was...a solid meh. Performed very well, but had almost as little connection to the rest of the show as any of the other movements had to each other. All that said, I've now heard Crown play Bruckner 8, so I can at least content myself with that having happened in my lifetime.

Looking forward to Pasadena tomorrow night.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I love Crown's ballad this season. I don't know if it was my design that a portion would be played by all females this season in it, or simply the fact that the females happened to be the best in the section to play it. But the gender I suppose does not matter here in the end. They are all excellent there.. pitch, intonation, balance, control, retc... the sound they produce there is outstanding in that segment. And the piece is well written there by Klesch, imo

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4