Muncie, IN - June 29, 2018

thoughts after watching:

Genesis....need to see it live. has potential, but the stuff on the inner leg of the uniform  pants expose dirt hardcore

Colts.....not sure about it yet. i get why they are close to Madison, but....too much voice over

Crossmen....concept still needs more, but not sure why the gap between them and Phantom. they play their ##### off

Madison....not as bad as I expected, but I think for what she is used for, well, i think more could help. But....well....No, not this year

Blue Stars...as i sit here waiting for the mortgage show to be done, this one i think needs to be seen live. i get why close to Crossmen, not sure why both so far behind Phantom

Phantom....not into yet, just not engaged after the monster tenor feature. trying to be New World without being New World.....needs more New World

Cavies.....ohhh this is gonna be good. It's so enjoyable to see that 2000-2006 swagger, yet be able to play above forte. 

Crown.....they have me until what is the for now ending. kills all forward momentum building to the end

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, B-Flat said:

Brass Lover - its all good my friend, but why should Crown fans chill on their expression of support for their favorite corps?  Should Bloo or Cavies fans chill in their over the hill adoration for them also?   In my opinion, when it comes to Crown people never love everything about their shows, and lots dislike their show entirely or parts of it.  I just think its ironic how, folks ohh and awww over their favorite corps performance and most folks on the forum let them ohh and awww with no response, as they should be allowed too.  But when Crown marches extremely well and plays the heck out of the brass book (i.e. tonight) there is so few comments about their performance other than what was hated or disliked.  I respect different peoples opinions but, it does appear a bit negatively slanted in general towards Crown in the typical show threads, which is fine by me as their opinions.  My only point is I wish the DCP community would give props to all corps where its due and not just focusing on the negative or what was hated or disliked.     

I personally do not understand 2 min of the Cavies show as it relates to the theme/show title, but I can acknowledge that its entertaining and the guard is doing a fantastic job.  I will never probably watch their show after this season, but it has good moments and more importantly the kids are working hard.

-That is all.

I love Carolina Crown for so many reasons. They are the only corps to emerge from nothing to a power in the last two decades, maybe even longer. I also respect the fact that they really know and embrace their position as the corps band members usually want to emulate. They also probably have the single most consistent brass “sound” in the world. That said, I tend to find their shows predictable from a playing and arranging style standpoint. There is nothing wrong with that. But, I tend to prefer corps that stretch themselves in style and design.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m always kind. Not just here.  Quite a few people know me on here. 

Terri was kind 40 years ago. I remember. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ftwdrummer said:

Will Pitts took over as program coordinator for Phantom this year, after Wes Cartwright handled that last year.

I missed that..thought he was just brass arranger...thanks.

7 minutes ago, Liahona said:

I missed that..thought he was just brass arranger...thanks.

Edit- just realized I misread your post. 

Edited by year1buick

36 minutes ago, B-Flat said:

Brass Lover - its all good my friend, but why should Crown fans chill on their expression of support for their favorite corps?  Should Bloo or Cavies fans chill in their over the hill adoration for them also?   In my opinion, when it comes to Crown people never love everything about their shows, and lots dislike their show entirely or parts of it.  I just think its ironic how, folks ohh and awww over their favorite corps performance and most folks on the forum let them ohh and awww with no response, as they should be allowed too.  But when Crown marches extremely well and plays the heck out of the brass book (i.e. tonight) there is so few comments about their performance other than what was hated or disliked.  I respect different peoples opinions but, it does appear a bit negatively slanted in general towards Crown in the typical show threads, which is fine by me as their opinions.  My only point is I wish the DCP community would give props to all corps where its due and not just focusing on the negative or what was hated or disliked.     

I personally do not understand 2 min of the Cavies show as it relates to the theme/show title, but I can acknowledge that its entertaining and the guard is doing a fantastic job.  I will never probably watch their show after this season, but it has good moments and more importantly the kids are working hard.

-That is all.

Well, If you're hoping for more positivity on DCP I have some bad news :tounge2: I dunno I saw plenty of criticism for the other corps. I think the ones for Crown might just be more salient to you. It could definitely be worse (take a trip to the Madison thread if you want to see what true hell looks like). As for me I'm definitely waiting to see everyone live before I make super harsh judgements.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I love Crown's ballad this season. I don't know if it was my design that a portion would be played by all females this season in it, or simply the fact that the females happened to be the best in the section to play it. But the gender I suppose does not matter here in the end. They are all excellent there.. pitch, intonation, balance, control, retc... the sound they produce there is outstanding in that segment. And the piece is well written there by Klesch, imo

If I understood correctly from a session with the design team here at the Director's Academy, it was by design that they would feature female horn players at some point.  As far as the ballad, it was designed to show the soft side of the beast.  While those girls play the ballad, the rest of the mellos, trumpets, baritones and euphoniums go to trombone.  So the low brass of trombone and tuba represent the male and the 'girl's club' obviously represent the female. So in actuality, gender DOES matter here.  They actually recruited a couple of female horn players to fill the ensemble for the ballad. This is how I remember it from the session I was in this morning.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, B-Flat said:

-That is all.

Crown has nothing on BD and Cadets when it comes to negativity on these forums. In general, they receive a lot of praise year to year.

Calling people haters or snowflakes because they express their dislike of a show is not showing support for your (not specifically referring to you) favorite corps. It just reflects poorly on the person doing the name calling. To me, those are the people who @Brass Lover's post was directed at.

• Thanks 1