Allentown, PA - June 30, 2018

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Never stopped this show. I truly believe the YEA pricing model has to change

Prices are definitely to high. Also remember that last year this show was cancelled due to a lightning storm. Yea shows and bad weather go hand in hand. I always bought my tics in advance for these type shows but don't anymore.  Being a party of one or two it's easy to get real good seats at the gate

Edited by Triple Forte

31 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

Prices are definitely to high. Also remember that last year this show was cancelled due to a lightning storm. Yea shows and bad weather go hand in hand. I always bought my tics in advance for these type shows but don't anymore.  Being a party of one or two it's easy to get real good seats at the gate

I had tickets to last year's "rain out" show too.  That's why I bought my ticket the day before the event when I saw what the weather forecast was going to be like.

The heat is another reason we don't buy tickets to outdoor shows in advance. Don't know how we survived Jacksonville, Miami and Orlando but were a lot younger then. Last year we gave away our Olathe, KS tickets to local band kids and didn't even go down the street to see Genesis practice at our high school. This year it looks like a rinse and repeat as far as the heat is concerned. Was also surprised to hear how hot it was this year for the early California shows.

14 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

Both the Akron show and this show are probably impacted by the fact that both have big August shows later on.  (Akron being just up the road from Massillon.)  The Akron crowd was actually larger than last year's June show which had to be held at Massillon.

The Mason crowd was packed as was the Pittsburgh show.

It also doesn't help that it costs more for prime seats for this late June show with 4 world class corps than it does for the same seats at DCI East... (I still paid my money to get in of course...)

• Thanks 1

Far too often, attendance at paid events (not just drum corps) wanes. Sometimes, the quick solution is to simply charge those who DO attend even more for their ticket. Might work for a year, or two. But, given time, your product becomes priced out of reach for generating new customers. Most of which are not familiar with the quality of what you offer. Of course, there are many other reasons why attendance can decline, including things you can never control, like weather.

Personally, if I had the time, I might not go to a show in Allentown. I would go to Clifton if I could in a heartbeat why?For me. Allentown is DCI East and only for DCI East. I understand the home base is in Allentown, but I say move the corps back to New Jersey. Actually move them back to Garfield.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Personally, if I had the time, I might not go to a show in Allentown. I would go to Clifton if I could in a heartbeat why?For me. Allentown is DCI East and only for DCI East. I understand the home base is in Allentown, but I say move the corps back to New Jersey. Actually move them back to Garfield.

If they move the corps it needs to be somewhere with money and some members. Garfield isn’t that place (anymore). Annapolis MD might be a better fit, a lot of Cadets come from Richmond and Northern VA and there are a ton of corporate headquarters to loot giving campaigns. Also Naval Academy is available for home shows, a fantastic venue. Plus it is close to me haha 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ghost said:

That might work M, but remember, Boston owns the franchise rights to central FL.

Really? I’ve never heard of such.

11 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

I did not attend last night, so I'm part of the problem. But, I do understand the reality of Allentown attendance, having studied it for more than 40 years. There is no willing and dependable local Allentown crowd to speak of. Never has been. I estimate, less than 10% of any Allentown crowd would be considered local. That's been true since the beginning.

Also agree, the prices are too high for an environment like Allentown. What neighborhood family, or even just two people together, would lay out $80 or more for something they suspect is on par with their local high schools. Most of which are small and struggling. As crazy as it might sound, Allentown is not a "drum corps town."

Horse manure. Within 2 hours in every direction you have tons of bands that compete in 3 circuits