Allentown, PA - June 30, 2018

11 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Lol maybe Bmore DC

Heh.... I certainly could get to a rehearsal or two then!!!   LOL

4 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Heh.... I certainly could get to a rehearsal or two then!!!   LOL

Exactly. Yet another reason it makes sense  haha 

• Haha 1

I see it this way - attendance yesterday was a few things: Price, low number of top corps and the heat.  I know a few people who didn't want to go due to the fact that it was "just Bloo and Cadets".  Obviously, the other corps were enjoyable, but if this ticket is essentially the same price as a night of DCI East, that's a bit much.

Overall, YEA! could do a better job integrating with the Allentown area (if it were to stay, which I know is not what a lot of people want, but it is what it is).  There are tons of excellent band programs around here and reaching out into the community could foster that relationship and boost attendance with parents. I'm not sure how much 'face time' the Cadets get in Allentown anymore, I know 5 or 6 years ago, they did to some community events in Allentown, but that seems to have fallen off the radar. 

rmm155-

What makes the Allentown situation problematic is that Allentown's public high schools and middle schools involve small, struggling band programs. These are the kids and families who are already used to going to Crum Stadium for their school events. Plus, the poverty rate in Allentown is high and rising. Residents can't really afford DCI tickets. Even families from near-in suburbs avoid travel to within Allentown city limits. There's a perception of dirt, crime, and general neglect. Add in the previous administration being jailed for corruption, the city proper is generally disregarded by those most likely to participate.

I should add, the interim Mayor, Ray O'Connell, is a friend of mine. He was also the school principal who hosted Boston Crusaders and others over the years. There should be new cooperation from that component.

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 1

On 6/30/2018 at 9:59 PM, Sideways said:

From the videos I've seen so far BD is a huge miss and I'm usually their biggest defender...loved Caberet Voltaire. They are excellent but...eh.  Once Vanguard gets the closet on the field and starts layering they will be like Berntein conducting Mahler...an  unstoppable steamroller. Coats are the only ones that could make it interesting.

Just curious, why do you think BD is a huge miss?  After a few views, I think this is the most competitive visual package they've had since 2013. They have enough demand that I won't call foul if they win ( for a change)  :) 

Live near Kansas City a few years ago they had TOC shows in Warrensburg MO at Central Missouri U. Sold out every year schools from all over the area used their school buses to bring the kids there. Our schools in Blue Springs & Grain Valley are dci friendly look forward to watching them practice every year. Have attended shows in Ogden UT and found the same parade of school buses. Knowing the history of Northern NJ from growing up in Drum Corp there they pushed the Corps out by not allowing them a place to practice and have shows. I believe the affects of that back then and still today has/is affecting the quality of musical education coming out of that state. DCI has long out grown Clifton Stadium where next week there will be a DCI and DCA show there a few days apart, size of that stadium limits exposure only other choice is Giants Stadium that is overpriced for Drum Corps events . I used to think real America began in Pennsylvania but now folks don't even want to go there.

• Like 1