Mankato, MN - July 2, 2018

My 2¢ on the Mankato Show. 

Chops- entertaining and a couple of real screamers in the line. Lots of work to do yet and not really sure why the move to Open Class. They were well under the 65 count. Watched from backfield, helping Govies with pit.

Govenaires- hard work the last few days, I was at rehearsal last Saturday and final run was kinda shaky. I know they worked hard in LaCrosse on Sunday and Mankato Monday afternoon and it showed. John is back introducing the numbers, the Xena piece he introduced for the Woman Warriors in the crowd has some pretty crazy odd meters, that are changing every measure 11/8./9/8, and 4/4 and there may be others. The closer a medley of well known Wo/Man hits was introduced as The Closer.

Long way to Labor Day for these 2 yet, I expect them both to keep adding bodies and growing the show over the next couple of months.

Colt Cadets-sorry rolling equipment back. After hearing the scores at the end of the night, I won't miss them again.

RCR-steady as it goes folks. Got back to see the last part of the show, I was impressed with the last couple of minutes, so I'd expect some upward movement as they get comfortable on the field.

Intermission- can't believe it's the same drill every year.

Genesis- they look like they're having a good time out there, but something just doesn't come across with this show. Loved the "Hook'em Horns" the drums showed. The encore performance was amazingly tight and controlled, just need to get that out on the field.

Colts- always a favorite of mine, but dump the field mics. Proof that louder is not better, everything was amplified to a point of pain. As mentioned in an earlier post, the front row is 15 feet from the pit. It was so distracting I couldn't tell you what the show was like. (rant over)

Blue Stars- as mentioned in an earlier post they are having fun and very entertaining, the guard is having a blast, the hammer/saber spinning combination has to be a first. A little behind the back over the shoulder finish and they all nailed it. (pun intended) Horn solos and duets have mic'd instruments which blend well with the full ensemble. I would expect them to hang with the group they're currently scoring around, should be a good battle for those last 3-4 spots at finals.

DCI Minnesota up next on my schedule, hoping to get a little preview of an MBI Sound Sport program.

• Like 1