Full Shows for Prelims

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

88 was to be two days, but Saturday was supposed to rain so they moved it to Sunday.

trying to remember back to prelims in 80 and being 11....there was Bucs, Cabs, then....well....everyone else LOL

'88 was still a one-day format.  Rained all day Sunday... both shows were on Labor Day Monday that year. 

I was working mornings at a radio station at the Jersey Shore... my work day started around 4:30 AM...  and did not have Tuesday off. Had to haul butt from Hershey to the station after finals that Monday. Got there in time to catch about two hours of sleep before going on the air.  LOL.

The two straight years of rain impacting the one-day format... 1987 and '88... that was one reason for the switch to the two-day format in '89.

10 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I see scores in Finals that year ranged from 91.30 for Bucs in first place down to 59.95 for Allouettes in tenth place. That's quite a spread! More than 31 points. More than twice as far apart as the first- and tenth-place DCA corps last year.

(And two corps in Prelims even had scores in the mid-30s. On a tangential note, does anyone know if the name is spelled "Allouettes" with two Ls, as From the Pressbox shows it, or "Alouettes", which Google auto-corrects it to?)

Was that just due to the vagaries of the tick system? Would a modern observer watching those two Finalist corps see them as being farther apart in quality than, say, Bucs and Chops, the first-place and eighteenth-place corps in DCA Prelims last year (24-point spread) or as far apart as Blue Devils and Pioneer were last year in DCI?

(Your Sunrisers, in sixth place with 83.15, or eight points behind first, would by that spread have been eighth in 2017, which is a much less drastic adjustment.)

Here's their website with their correct spelling. Yes, they're still active in a local sense in the Ville d'Quebec/Quebec City area.

http://www.alouettedequebec.org/

There's a lot of fascinating historical stuff involving the Alouettes out there a friend from Quebec found dating back to their sponsorship by Patro Laval.  Actually, I've been trying hard to figure out the first tune from this little montage from them and no one seems to know what it is. Anyone have a clue? The singing is pretty novel from that era.

There are I think 9 of these that they have up, all are really neat. They really show how much is shared regardless of era or where one marched as well as what was also different.

My friend also found the Quebec equivalent of DCP, though it's all in French, of course. I'm glad some of them come by here now and again when a topic about their corps pops up. Hoping one of them know what the heck that tune is.

As for Westshore and the Alouettes... Well.... McShane liked them. Especially the guard and the all white daisy duke tops and short shorts they wore. :innocent: I was a 17 year old kid. All I could do was look at them wide-eyed like a stunned duck. You grew up fast in DCA back then. :laugh:

Will relate the story about McShane, the Syracuse NY State Fairgrounds... the pallet pile, the sawdust, and the Alouettes at the Black Knight Inn Saturday. :guinesssmilie:

10 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I see scores in Finals that year ranged from 91.30 for Bucs in first place down to 59.95 for Allouettes in tenth place. That's quite a spread! More than 31 points. More than twice as far apart as the first- and tenth-place DCA corps last year.

(And two corps in Prelims even had scores in the mid-30s. On a tangential note, does anyone know if the name is spelled "Allouettes" with two Ls, as From the Pressbox shows it, or "Alouettes", which Google auto-corrects it to?)

Was that just due to the vagaries of the tick system? Would a modern observer watching those two Finalist corps see them as being farther apart in quality than, say, Bucs and Chops, the first-place and eighteenth-place corps in DCA Prelims last year (24-point spread) or as far apart as Blue Devils and Pioneer were last year in DCI?

(Your Sunrisers, in sixth place with 83.15, or eight points behind first, would by that spread have been eighth in 2017, which is a much less drastic adjustment.)

Yes, the ticks could create insane spreads. Keep in mind some of the weaker units could and did zero out or near zero out. A very good group could get by with under 10 ticks in brass. Some of the more legendary percussion sections under 5 ticks IIRC, some with zero ticks here and there. Right there, you've generated a 9 point gap alone or something like that if you're against a really sloppy drumline?

7 hours ago, Fastone said:

In 88 finals ended up being on Monday night, 

oh thats right, thats what it was. both sunday, moved to monday. thanks! so 89 was the first two day weekend

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

'88 was still a one-day format.  Rained all day Sunday... both shows were on Labor Day Monday that year. 

I was working mornings at a radio station at the Jersey Shore... my work day started around 4:30 AM...  and did not have Tuesday off. Had to haul butt from Hershey to the station after finals that Monday. Got there in time to catch about two hours of sleep before going on the air.  LOL.

The two straight years of rain impacting the one-day format... 1987 and '88... that was one reason for the switch to the two-day format in '89.

I remember leaving Hershey and heading back up to college right afterwards now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I remember leaving Hershey and heading back up to college right afterwards now.

That Tuesday morning at work for me... yikes.  Running on what was left of my adrenaline.  LOL.

I had just started that gig a few weeks before, and was fortunate just to get Labor Day Monday off. Couldn't even think about asking for Tuesday.

8 hours ago, BigW said:

Actually, I've been trying hard to figure out the first tune from this little montage from them and no one seems to know what it is. Anyone have a clue? The singing is pretty novel from that era.

Thanks for all that information! And I can partly return the favor, because I recognized the tune right away! (That comes from listening to a lot of pop standards on the radio.)

The opening number is "Round and Round", a big hit for Perry Como in 1957.

Wikipedia notes that it was written by Joe Shapiro and Lou Stallman and was Como's last number one.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

12 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Thanks for all that information! And I can partly return the favor, because I recognized the tune right away! (That comes from listening to a lot of pop standards on the radio.)

The opening number is "Round and Round", a big hit for Perry Como in 1957.

Wikipedia notes that it was written by Joe Shapiro and Lou Stallman and was Como's last number one.

"Sing to me, Mr. C!!!"  :tongue:

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

oh thats right, thats what it was. both sunday, moved to monday. thanks! so 89 was the first two day weekend

That was a nice change of pace, having basically all day before Finals in '89.

(No alumni show Sunday morning until 1998, and I've never announced that show anyway.  LOL)

Through 1988, since we had to wait for the corps directors to sign off on their prelims scores before we could announce them... and sometimes, a director might fuss a bit before signing (putting it mildly here since this is a family site :tongue:), I think I was literally the last person out of the stadium a couple of times. :laughing:

Then a very quick turnaround for finals. 

• Thanks 1

No kidding. Perry Como. :thumbup:

That so had me stumped, it was driving me crazy.

Well after I got backed into in the Chipotle lot, (seems to be mainly cosmetic damage to the drivers side rear bumper, let his insurance deal with it!) that's one more good thing from today, which makes up for it. I scored three bottles of Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA at the Wegman's as well. They were hiding it behind the counter. :guinesssmilie:"The Holy Grail of India Pale Ales".

https://dogfishalehouse.com/beers/120-minute-ipa/

And I have a similar IPA glass as in the video for it, approved by Dogfish head. Sweet Spiegelau glass.

?$web_product_hero$&160122150032&wid=625

Yeah, I'm a bit of a beer snob. :guinesssmilie:

Edited by BigW
  • Like 1