Full Shows for Prelims

Speaking of the whole tick era, a friend who had a corps from NE PA that competed in the same circuit the Belevderes would go to on occasion- (NY-Penn maybe?)

Early season contest, every corps in the one class zeroed out in Brass execution, Jim Prime Sr. judging. Post contest critique, he was told his brass section by far was the best of the three or four out there that day.

"But we all zeroed out!"

Jim's response with a smile and a shake of the head:

"You had the best zero of the day!"

No wonder Jim pressed hard to implement the build-up system into the activity. If he'd have had that, he could have easily ranked and rated all four of those corps instead of tying them in a 4 way tie at Zero. Food for thought there, especially for all of the remaining tick-proponents.

1 hour ago, BigW said:

Speaking of the whole tick era, a friend who had a corps from NE PA that competed in the same circuit the Belevderes would go to on occasion- (NY-Penn maybe?)

Early season contest, every corps in the one class zeroed out in Brass execution, Jim Prime Sr. judging. Post contest critique, he was told his brass section by far was the best of the three or four out there that day.

"But we all zeroed out!"

Jim's response with a smile and a shake of the head:

"You had the best zero of the day!"

No wonder Jim pressed hard to implement the build-up system into the activity. If he'd have had that, he could have easily ranked and rated all four of those corps instead of tying them in a 4 way tie at Zero. Food for thought there, especially for all of the remaining tick-proponents.

Heh... one time at an Eastern States show with my junior corps... Manville Crusaders.... the brass judge on one side had us up near the top, the judge on the other side zeroed us out.

I'm guessing the truth had to fall somewhere in the middle that day.  LOL.

19 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Heh... one time at an Eastern States show with my junior corps... Manville Crusaders.... the brass judge on one side had us up near the top, the judge on the other side zeroed us out.

Yet another reason it had to go. There were some wild inconsistencies in certain circumstances- Was it the Crusaders who wanted to hang the percussion judge from Pittsburgh BITD?. There are still some in build up but less so in most cases.

5 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

There were so many variables...well, there still are. They call some people 'tick magnets' for a reason. Judges weren't and aren't supposed to focus on one person and crush a group, but it happened and can still happen. I think the overall effect's been to close down gaps, and stop the wild number swings from contest to contest. Also means a tenth means more now, everyone's closer.... even though BITD sometimes there were opposing corps you knew you were tight with and every tick could spell doom.

On 7/2/2018 at 7:20 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

(And two corps in Prelims even had scores in the mid-30s. On a tangential note, does anyone know if the name is spelled "Allouettes" with two Ls, as From the Pressbox shows it, or "Alouettes", which Google auto-corrects it to?)

Alouette is spelled as I have spelled it - one l.  Salut, Bob P.

1 hour ago, BigW said:

There were so many variables...well, there still are. They call some people 'tick magnets' for a reason. Judges weren't and aren't supposed to focus on one person and crush a group, but it happened and can still happen. I think the overall effect's been to close down gaps, and stop the wild number swings from contest to contest. Also means a tenth means more now, everyone's closer.... even though BITD sometimes there were opposing corps you knew you were tight with and every tick could spell doom.

75...one perc guy loved Sky and their tuning. One perc guy loved the Rebels and their tuning. Guy B judged finals...Rebels won

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

75...one perc guy loved Sky and their tuning. One perc guy loved the Rebels and their tuning. Guy B judged finals...Rebels won

Remind me to tell you something along that line Saturday. :innocent:

In 1975 at the Beantown Invitational Jackie Lester the electric pencil zeroed out 8 of the 10 percussion sections, we (Sky) ended up 2nd with a .04 and the Hurcs won that night with a 0.6

36 minutes ago, Fastone said:

In 1975 at the Beantown Invitational Jackie Lester the electric pencil zeroed out 8 of the 10 percussion sections, we (Sky) ended up 2nd with a .04 and the Hurcs won that night with a 0.6

"Electric pencil"....LOL!!!!

The whole tick system, to me, was more subjective than the current system. And at times, a complete joke.  LOL.

Those wild score swings... judges either ticking mistakes that weren't there, or letting blatant stuff go.  And just the logistics of a judge writing down a tick for an error... how much stuff did that judge miss while writing, or while not in position to catch things?

Then there were the "tolerance levels" that seemingly changed for championship weekend, or sometimes from prelims to finals. LOL.  When a given mistake the week or two before was no longer a mistake... even though it still was.  :laughing:

That being said... I'm  not trading in any of the shows my corps won, in junior or all-age corps. :tongue:

• Like 1